# of pages indexed by yahoo vs google

• fourthring
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: San Diego / Beijing

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, one of my clients sites is about 90% indexed by google but only a small fraction indexed by yahoo. The site has been around for over 2 years so it's not a sandbox issue. Any suggestions on what might cause Yahoo to stop indexing a site?

The site is managingautomation.com .

Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have noticed this for a good deal of sites recently, yahoo are only listing a fraction of what google does.

Been looking for a way around it - so far the best results we have had are by getting links to the actual inner pages

We tested this on 100 pages - 1 link pointing to each from quite a popular site, 76 of those pages got indexed, while non of the pages (around 2000 of them) with no links pointing at them did....

Im not saying thats the solution - but its the best we have been able to come up with yet.
  • djtheropy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • djtheropy

Post 3+ Months Ago

mines thye other way round my new site fusioncray.co.uk has over 900 hits from yahoo`s bot in last few day but only about 10 from google
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

djtheropy wrote:
mines thye other way round my new site fusioncray.co.uk has over 900 hits from yahoo`s bot in last few day but only about 10 from google

But how many links are listed in each engines database for your site?
  • djtheropy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • djtheropy

Post 3+ Months Ago

for google using
site:www.fusioncray.co.uk (i think thats the right way) = 604

i don't know how you check your site in yahoo.

btw this isnt a brand new site these are just the stats since i took over as webmaster and swapped host on december the 2nd
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=www.fu ... 1&ei=UTF-8

About 18 pages indexed :) Thats what fourthring was saying. How to get more pages indexed in yahoo.
  • djtheropy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • djtheropy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok but i have been hit by the yahoo bot loads in past few days y isnt it actually indexing them?
  • fourthring
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah that's just the problem. I have a lot of spider activity but no indexing. I was thinking it may have been duplicate content but we've done searches and it's all orginal.

I think Jess has a point though - Yahoo seems to give more weight to pages that have linking vs those that are not directly linked. I also saw that those pages coming off of links that had H3 tags got index vs those links that did not. I don't think this is a good hack to get around it but linking has something to do with indexing.

Time is not the issue though - as you have said your site is a few years old and so is mine.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

To follow up on what i said earlier - we now have 86 pages out of that 100 indexed in Yahoo.....
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

we are now on 93 pages of the 100, Yahoo are indexing these pages daily ... no links to anywhere else on the site tho.

Thats good enough proof for me, Yahoo are not keen on indexing pages without links to them.

I'm gona add another hundred, see if the trend continues. However I would work on getting links to inner pages....
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Malmö, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of my sites has nearly all of its pages indexed but I know for a fact that there are no links to the inner pages :?

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=www.gardenplansireland.com&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&fl=0&x=wrt

It is a small site though.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea 8 pages is a small site. However its excellent that yahoo has indexed them all! Well done!

The site i ran the tests on have around 3000 pages, yahoo was only indexing about 20 of them, though im getting that number increased daily now.

Personally I just like running these tests to try and figure the engines out. Its actually quite logical that any page with good content is going to have links to it. So if an engine was only to index pages with links to them, theer database is only going to contain good content........
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree completely Jess.

Think about this though, take Ozzu for example
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8 ... w.ozzu.com

Now Ozzu is a forum as we know but judging by the number of pages indexed it would virtually impossible for every page to be linked to from an outside source.

It's quite perplexing...
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

22,100 - Yahoo, which is a good number as you say.

But then compare the number to Google (where ozzu have hundreds of thousands of pages indexed I believe) and its only a small fraction...

It is very interesting - it would appeare yahoo will index a certain percentage of your site, and then the pages that are linked too as well..... Different to any engine I have come accross yet.
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yahoo is a strange beast indeed.
  • djtheropy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • djtheropy

Post 3+ Months Ago

i searched yahoo for my domain
http://www.fusioncray.co.uk and it returned 17 links
then i searched
[www.fusioncray.co.uk] and it returned 150 links maybe you could try that and see what it returns :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This looks like the right post to add my question. I have seen Inktomi and MSN Bots all over BR for the last couple weeks. Last week I added an SEO Mod and mod_rewrite. It looks to me like Yahoo and MSN are indexing the site identically and are keying in on the menu links. For example, if you go to either search engine and type in ://edited, I have two links ranked 3rd and 4th and those are obviously not the links I want ranked that high, whereas Google has been gradually notching me up a couple positions every two or three days. If you do the same search on Google for edited, I'm now 5th out of over 340,000 results which I'll gladly take, and the result is the actual homepage http://www.boastingrights.com

Is it just that I got the SEO stuff in place a little late for this month? Truthfully, I'm still surprised I'm that high when Google is only showing me a PR2 with http://www.boastingrights.com

I just felt like this was a similar problem and was wondering why such an odd disparagy with Yahoo & MSN vs. Google?

//edit... it might help with a better answer to let you know that Inktomi hit me the hardest the same day I installed a mod_rewrite that wasn't even close to perfect. I took care of changing that the next day.

Could that be the problem?
  • fourthring
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I think Jess's observation speaks volumes.

Jess what if you have links from the home page directly to some of your inner pages? (like footer links, etc?) Will this help ? Or do you need a link from a different domain name directly to the inner pages?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts