• Loc: Idaho

Post 3+ Months Ago

:oops: :cry:
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

First-submitting your site to Google will do nothing. Building links will get them crawling your site before anything else will.

Second-paid inclusion is ok. It's not the end all answer, nor is it evil :wink: I used MSN's SBD with great results but I won't pay for Yahoo. MSN:$49 / Yahoo:$300 - plus you get 6 links from MSN. That's not rocket science IMO.

There are also a ton of free directories-it just take forever for them to get around to listing you.
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually I have done well! I am in Google, just got into MSN, all in under 2 weeks, without paying a dime! Problem is my "description" and "page title" kept me from even being in the target search that I wanted to be in- a real bummer! Now I STILL wait. :cry:

Swan
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your title & desc. won't have much effect on your ranking
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

It has not been a matter of ranking. If I type "wood crosses" I don't come up on any pages. If I type "High Peak wood crosses" I am on the first page!

I have made ajustments :D

Swan
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

In fact my posts here are coming up in the right search words :shock:
Unbelievable!

Swan
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh heh heh. I've had the same thing happen. It happens even more with the http://www.seo-guy.com forum. You can always go back into your posts and edit out the KWs :wink:
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

jlknauff wrote:
Your title & desc. won't have much effect on your ranking

This is very, very wrong. The title tag is huge on ranking in Google, MSN, Yahoo, and every other search engine. THe description tag is not as important with Google, as it is in MSN and Yahoo.

You need strong titles and descriptions unique to each page on your website.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was not very clear in my post-it won't have nearly the effect as links.
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am goin with Veto on this, my title is what messed me up. My kewords did not appear to matter at all. High Peak was NOT one of my keywords, and yet that is what it used- it was in my title.

Links? I am Sceptical! Though they may be important to get crawled faster... My competitors do not have ANY and they are always on top!
I actually spoke with one and he said he gets 7000 hits a month- thats why he's on top.

I am no pro, so if I am wrong, this is why.

Swan
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Links are still very important Swan. Links are what builds Pagerank in Google. If your competitors do not have a lot of links and not much Pagerank, it will be even easier for you to surpass them in positioning.

Your still a new site so that is what you have against you. Newer sites in Google have a very tough time positioning well in competitve areas (Sandbox Theory). Right now is your time to build and then dominate later.

1/ Focus your pages around top searched and qualified keywords.
2/ Get directory listings
3/ Get links from related sites/not competitors. The text in these links are very important. Remember to use your target keyword phrase(s) in all the links pointing to your site.

And...it does not matter how many hits a site gets, that is not what tells the search engine what positioning you deserve. And never judge a site by hits, should be unique visitors.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I am Sceptical! Though they may be important to get crawled faster... My competitors do not have ANY and they are always on top!

links are important, not hits. Provided, positioning is what you are after./
I am sure your competitors have some links. Look carefully. A link on other web site is a vote to your web page. thats what google PR is all abt...

There is one instance which this site has high page rank and I cant seem to find its backlink. Very weird - I am looking into it now. Very confusing as well. I may be exposing something in this. not sure..

Disagree with whoever said that titles are not important to ranking.
totally not true. Good titles can bring yr site up. fore sure. but you will still need linking, PR, (hard work?) to bring up your site.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 43 posts