places it's ok to plug your own site

• absolutes
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's great that Ozzu permits a limited amount of publicity in our sigs, but where else can a person who's trying to get something like, for instance, a forum :wink: off the ground go and not be spamming? I don't want to be "that lady" who pops onto a forum, says something tangential to the conversation, then drops a plug to her own site and vanishes again, but how else can I get the word out to audiences that are genuinely interested? So many forums only allow links in sigs if you pay them, and will remove your post if it contains a link to a site you own even if it's legitimately related to the topic at hand. Any suggestions? I see successful forums (fori?) out there, and now I'm so disillusioned I'm just sure that the owners resorted to shady methods to drum up conversation. :(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Pozzy
  • Pozzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try link exchanges, paid advertisement. There's a lot you can do to promote a forum. Get some friends to start posting who share your interests.
  • absolutes
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got an AdWords ad, which gets me hits but costs too much really and the hits aren't great quality (or maybe they are, I don't really have a reference frame for this kind of thing). I have some members who post regularly, too.
As for link exchanges, I hesitate to even look into them because who would want to exchange links with a site that doesn't get very much traffic?
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this sounds silly, but I was owner of a non profit website, and listing in Top Sites listings are a good way to get hits, *IF* your members are willing to hit the vote button that is.

I was a member of one top site, and I had 2000 hits in 2 days from being in the top 5 on it.

Just a suggestion :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts