Pointing Multiple Domains To Same Site - Search Engines

• aswtmelody
  • Born
  • Born
  • aswtmelody

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello... I have a question..and hopefully after reading all the many educational posts here..maybe I can learn something from someone's answer.
Lets say you have a site... onestopkeywords. You have also registered onestopkeyword. This being done because the singular and plural are used interchangeably, and to avoid the confusion if someone happened to come along and registered onestopkeyword. Onestopkeywords is the title of the site, and the brandname so to speak that will be promoted. Is it a bad thing to have both domain names point to the same site? Would you submit both of them to the engines, or just one?
Taking it a step further is there any advantage to using numeric 1 instead of the word one in the domain, or title? Or would that be a no-no? Could it also point to the same site without issue?
I'm not trying to spam the engines, or have it think its multiple sites or anything like that... I am trying just to figure out the best way to present it, that will help to make it easy to get to, and search engine friendly not a search engine disaster.
Also do I have to worry about doing anything with hyphens? Seems some mixed thoughts on that issue.
Thanks,
Alicia
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CrazyP

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should only sumbmit one domain name, and use the second one as a alias. your server should have options on setting up aliases.

more info here Aliases
  • aswtmelody
  • Born
  • Born
  • aswtmelody

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much for the reply and the information.
The host I am probably going to use does have an option for pointing additional domain names to the main page, and to other folders as well, but I don't need the other folder option as I am not trying to split content. So that part looks easy.
The only advantage I can see in using the numeric is in some type of alphabetized list. But I am thinking there would be greater disadvantage in confusion if that was the sole one submitted and used in marketing.
Putting the rest of the stuff for the site together has been a breeze compared to the name.
Thanks again!
Alicia
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about 301 redirecting to the new page.
that could be quite a boost to trafic.
  • aswtmelody
  • Born
  • Born
  • aswtmelody

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much for the suggestion..
I have been reading about that too.....in between trying to figure out the best way in setting this all up.....
In my mind...I have the main corporate site....and then under the onestop I have the ecommerce portion....reason in my mind for splitting is two different markets...and I dont want to dilute one with the other...as its different types of sales.... but a link from each to both....
So then I get to wondering, can I submit both sites...and have them listed separately in directories...Ideally I would like to keep the traffic separate but a bridge there when needed.....
So much to ponder.........
Thanks again for the suggestion...
Alicia
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

why not try submitting different pages to different directories?
  • aswtmelody
  • Born
  • Born
  • aswtmelody

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the suggestion...
I have considered doing that as well as an option......I just have to find the right blend, I guess...
One commodity... 2 markets...and preferably two market identities so to speak with some commonality.....shouldnt be too hard right? :-)
Thanks again,
Alicia

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts