Reasonable fees for SEO

• mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may be a sticky topic, but I was curious as to "what's the going rate" if you will, for SEO. I know there are those companies which promise you this and promise you that and charge a ridiculous amount at times (even though SEO is a no guarantee business).

However, I was just curious as to what a reasonable fee would be to charge someone or for that matter pay someone to perform SEO. Would the rate fluctuate depending on the business of the client (keyword competition)? Or is there just a standard fee.

Also, is charging a submission fee per month even worth it? I think that it is ridiculous and just clearly taking advantage of the client.

I have worked in search engine optimization techniques for about 2 years now, and the purpose of this post is simply to see where I stand myself when charging a client. To be frank, I think it's too low.... SEO when performing well can increase income for businesses dramatically (depending on the business).

Any thoughts, comments, ideas are more than welcome.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it depends on amt of effort in each campaign
Afterall SEO involves a lot of hard work! :-)
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Absolutely, however, whenever dealing with a client who requests SEO...I find it difficult to ask for a large sum in return....considering that even with the work put in and the correct SEO in place...the end results may return dissapointing....with the exception of time as a variable.

If I am going to provide a service and charge for it, I want to be able to stand behind my results. SEO is a bit tricky in this regard.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes certainly. your right.
there are those who charge based on their efforts or rather, number of hits. results-based......

So, if the hits/visitors are increased, more payment is required. you may be interested in this.

Its almost like a PPC system..
  • Shawn
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shawn

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should sell them on what you can prove. If you have good experience with examples of previous work it helps alot. I do freelance seo for some of the larger seo companies and my fee is 20% recurring of the total fee. But that total fee also includes $2,000-$10,000/month in links. So makesure you're client has enough of a budget for you to make an impact or you'll run into problems.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

madmonk wrote:
So, if the hits/visitors are increased, more payment is required. you may be interested in this.

Hmm, that is an interesting approach, as it only seems fair...

I've been trying to re-think my "business plan" with SEO, as I do not focus on it with clients...I mainly focus on providing design solutions with print and web....however, SEO is growing in internet marketing and I find that it would benefit me to jump aboard.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shawn wrote:
So makesure you're client has enough of a budget for you to make an impact or you'll run into problems.

Absolutely, that is always a factor.

I've worked with a design firm which offered SEO - which accumulates most of my experience in the area whenever I would be involved with it. However, most of what I did was research new/different SEO methods, keywords, quality backlinks...etc., I never actually "optimized" any sites until recently via feelance - I have yet to see any results that would be claimed significant.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Approach is many to charging yr clients. You can try hits/cost approach.

SEO isnt big in australia and now I am charging minimal fees for SEO. It should be more but it will do for now... :-) I am always on the lookout for more clients, who knows, one step leads to another!!

Most importantly, you should be asking yrself how you can differentiate yrself from other SEO companies. esp when clients ask...

Also, there are so many spams/promotion around about SEO service.. clients dont know which to choose :-(
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

sometimes it becomes embrassing to charge more when website design cost of their campaign is low than what we intend to charge them...
  • meta-monger
  • meta-monger
  • Loc: Middle of Knowhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

When approached about SEO, I try to focus on success. Prospects are encouraged by three factors: excitement, your success and their success. In most scenarios, prospects are leary about SEO. They are unfamiliar with it and all it entails. They become skeptical because of all the spam (especially when the company has been burned). They want to see results.

Results = Success

I guarantee improvement in their sites ranking. I confirm this with case studies outlining my methodology and graphing success. Hint: They like to see graphs that spike upward and stay there. Once they see that you are successful and excited about improving the performance of their website - they are virtually putty in your hands.

So how much to charge? Charge what you want. Since in some cases SEO can be very pricey, when compared to web development, and clients don't want to pay for something that won't work I use this approach - pay for performance.

My proposal / estimate shows the steps I will take to optimize their site and the cost of each of those steps. The total cost of SEO is then broken down into three or four different billing cycles. 1/2 due upon completion, second 1/2 due if site appears within the first ? listings or 1/3 due if listing appears between w and x and 1/4 due if listing appears between y and z. Then offer a monthly SEO mainanace fee to keep or improve their ranking.

Follwoing such a method may be a little risky however, I find it very rewarding. 1) estimate high - this will make sure you time is compensated within the first deposit and minimize loss. 2) prospects like the idea that they will only pay if you can deliver. 3) if you only get them on page three to five you can easily convince them to spend more money to get to page one. 4) in most cases, once a clients lands a top listing they will spend money to keep that ranking - nab them with the monthly SEO fee. 5) most importantly if you feel you can't deliver - don't take the job!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts