same code runs fast on PC but slow on Server.

• kivi
  • Born
  • Born
  • kivi

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've developted a simple file search engine which search files on keyword on a site or certain folders. The engine works fine on my PC (windows 2000) when I tested it. but after I moved it to the server (windwos 2000), it runs bloody slow though it still works. it would take 2 mins to go through 100 files. I have no idea what's wrong with it.

I use ASP code and Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") to access the file system on the server.

Is there anybody know why the code running slow on the server? Many thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• aboyd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe the server has a lot more activity on it -- if it's serving Web sites and responding to many requests, your code may have to share the CPU.

Also, at one job, we just realized that our server was 3 years old, and had 3 year-old specs -- slower smaller drive, only 512 MB of RAM (on a server!), etc. The team had development boxes with newer/faster CPUs, GIGs of RAM, and very fast drives (in one case, a developer's drive was ALL RAM -- that was damn fast). So the comparison was faulty. Our development boxes had become better than the server itself.

-Tony
  • kivi
  • Born
  • Born
  • kivi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Tony,

I did check the performance. but the PC and the server just looked the same. CPU usage and MEM usage were all ok. :roll:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts