Search Engine Optimization

• Portage
  • Portage
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all. I am new to OZZU. Have enjoyed reading all the threads and have been trying to learn from what I have read.

I started a commercial website back in March of this year that was hosted in my personal webspace provided with my internet account. I have since moved the site off to a proper host (August) and have also learned about page ranking from searching the web and finding this site. My site currently is generating a page rank of 2, and a ranking of 399 in google for my main search word (cannas).

I know the site is a little rough, with a few minor problems, but I was wondering if there is something more that I could do to improve the ranking of my site (hopefully a PR4) and my increase the odds that my site will pop up when someone is doing a search for the word cannas? I do have a few backlinks on fairly well ranked sites (PR4 +) but Google only seems to recognize/list 2 of them. Also I am planning to redo the site for 2005 and was wondering if it would be advisable to use a main page with a link OSCommerce to create a store for listing the plants.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Guildwood Cannas & Tropicals
http://www.guildwoodcannas.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• discountdomains
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • discountdomains
  • Loc: Telford UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

PR has very little to do with your ranking on Google.

What does make a difference:-

a) Use of your keywords on anchor text links from related sites
b) Good content, including your keywords in your text
c) Use of keywords in Title Tag
d) Listing in Dmoz
e) Listing in directories:-

http://www.allthebizz.com/resources.php has a list of free ones, and paid ones (the paid have a stronger effect - partly why they are paid!)

Clare
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am going to have to disagree. High Pagerank can be an amazing asset for ranking.

As for your current Pagerank, there hasn't been an update in over 3 months. Once the next pagerank happens, who knows when that will happen, maybe Halloween...you may see an increase in your current Pagerank. The Google toolbar just is not showing your current Pagerank now.

Tip - You need more text on your homepage that focuses on your keyword phrases.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

vetofunk wrote:
As for your current Pagerank, there hasn't been an update in over 3 months. Once the next pagerank happens, who knows when that will happen, maybe Halloween...you may see an increase in your current Pagerank. The Google toolbar just is not showing your current Pagerank now.

UUmm didn't we just have a Pagerank update about 2 weeks back?
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like Vetofunk isnt keeping up
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not lately...nope. I haven't looked at a Pagerank thread in forever, been a little to busy with the Christmas season coming up. I just didn't notice any of our sites, nor our competitor's sites Pagerank increase. The only pages I saw increase were those with a PR of 0, so I assumed it was a very small update. Just didn't see anything to magnitude that I usually have seen over the years.

*Only Human*
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Portage
  • Portage
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Clare, thanks for posting the directories link. I will check out the one you mentioned. I noticed in another post you mentioned the "Strongest Link" directory. I have added links with several of the sites there and have contacted several garden related sites re links also. Unfortunately out of approx 12 backlinks only 2 seem to register with Google.

a) By keywords on anchor text links - do you mean the for the links on my site for other websites or the other way around?
b) I think so, with the exception that vetofunk pointed out on the homepage. I will be looking at this.
c) The title tag as it is now just has my company name and what the page pertains to. IE Guildwood Cannas - Canna Page. Should I add the other key words as well?
d) Applied to Dmoz and am just waiting in line now.
e) Signing up as I have time and come accross them.

Thanks vetofunk, that is what I needed. I was wondering about the homepage but was hoping that the robots would pickup the keyword density off the subsequent pages where there is quite a bit of keyword density. I have noticed that Google seems to be hitting my site everyday for about the last week. Is this normal or does this mean I am I about to have my PR updated?

Any other suggestions? Any thoughts or concerns about using OSCommerce as I had mentioned?

Thanks,

Grant
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm....very interesting.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

There has been some talks about why Google is doing some massive spidering lately.

I think there is an article at webpronews.com
  • discountdomains
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • discountdomains
  • Loc: Telford UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

The links to your site need to use anchor text links.

e.g I try and find sites about domain name registration and add links like the one in this text.

Clare
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

keywords for your anchor texts.... mainly for links in other sites.. :-)
the more links you have for other sites, the merrier.

one of the steps to do for good results is directories submissions.
I have whipped out a combined list of directories in our company new website last week. It sure was hard work! heheh.

the list is useful to my people and me over here. hoep it helps for you guys too. :wink:

http://www.definiteweb.com/list-of-directories.htm

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts