Search engine ready?

• Swan
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Idaho

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all!

I am new at this, I have the site ready to go, so I think :shock: . How does one know if it is search engine ready, and won't be passed over by the "crawler"?

Is there a "website checker" online one can go to to make sure everything is ok?

Thanks!!

Swan
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Malmö, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this

http://www.gritechnologies.com/tools/spider.go

Use the 'Diagnostics View' option, this will provide you with warnings if your page is not search engine ready.
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks stew!

What does this mean? Warning: No h1, h2 or h3 Headings were found.

The thing "looked" at it's self first and had the same thing. Anything to worry about? Is there somthing in particular I am to look for?

Swan
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Malmö, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Search engines rank the text in H1,H2 etc.. tags over other forms of text on a page e.g. text in P tags. I recommend putting keyphrases that describe your site into the H1, H2 tags etc... or use the Hx tags when putting header text on sections of a page (thats what they are originally for anyway)

By the way if you are worried about the text looking too big through for example a H1 tag you can use CSS to specifiy a smaller font size for the H1 tag.

I wouldn't worry about the site itself getting warnings, they just don't use Hx tags, that's all.
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Stew! You have been a big help!! I appreciate it!!

Swan
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you done your keyword research?
- try overture suggestion tool

Targetting your market is prolly the most important step of all.

after that, you can start to submit to directories. I have just updated my list of directories. HEaPs of directories- its crazy. You can find it in my sig. bookmark it whatever.
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Thanks Madmonk, That's a BOATLOAD of directories! ! I appreciate it!

Swan
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Madmonk mentioned the Overture Suggestion Tool. The link:
http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchi ... uggestion/

Keyword research is probably the most important step in optimizing your site for search engine ranking. This should be done before you decide on Title Tags/Description Tags/H1 tags.
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Guys, that really helped, I used several- that I didn't have!

One question though. Mis-spelled words, they are not in the contents on the page, they are OK as keywords though? I thought the spiders looked for the keywords?

One more, sorry. Do I use the keywords from the index, or main page, in like the "contact" page, or pages that don't really have meaningful content? or do I just use some of the words on the "contact" or the particular page?

This has eluded me :shock:

I have to say, all of the people I have encountered and interacted with here have been absolutely great and very helpful.

So again guys thanks!!

Swan
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
One question though. Mis-spelled words, they are not in the contents on the page, they are OK as keywords though? I thought the spiders looked for the keywords?

they can be used in meta tags keywords. Dont use them as your main keywords! :D

yeah, for content pages and tos, etc...
target keywords for individual pages.

so, it depends on you whether you want to target keywords for every page or certain pages. I would recommend targetting for certain pages.

As vetofunk has pointed out, keyword research is the most important step. I agree too. Cuz it forms the basis of whatever optimisation you do for your site, or page.

From there, you can move on to other stuffs like submission to directories - it all depends on how you work. Submissions to directories take a long, long time especially using my list of directories. So, grab a cup of coffee or whatever, and be prepared yrself for hard work!! :-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts