Search Engines Governing Search Results???

• Tarantula
  • Born
  • Born
  • Tarantula

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wanted to get some opinions on Internet manipulation. I don't know a great deal about how search engines and such work technically. Maybe it's just my conspiracy theories getting the best of me. You have to wonder, however, just as political, corporate, and special interest pressure is imposed on all the other mainstream forms of public information (i.e. Radio and television broadcasting and newspaper publishing) why would it be any less likely that influential groups, individuals, or public officials have methods of manipulating or regulating information on the internet? For example, what if Google was "paid off" or otherwise persuaded to filter and spin their search results much like major News broadcasters spin their news reports? Suppose a common citizen had some first hand information that the powers-that-be didn't want to be easily accessible. How difficult would it be for a given search engine to exclude that website or page from their search results?
Is there any kind of "underground" search engine that is not influenced politically or financially that will show any available results to a well placed search regardless of anyones dissapproval? I don't necessarily mean illegal content or top secret information crucial to national security. Perhaps a former employee's credible account of wrong doing by a major corporation or government agency that he/she has written up and posted on an obscure server.
Just some food for thought. Sorry such a long post. I'm interested to see other peoples responses of agreement or disagreement and further input. I've browsed a good number of online forums and surpisingly haven't found much talk on the subject.
Happy to be a new member of this forum. One of the better I've come across. Alot good information from a lot of intelligent people.
Regards,
Tarantula
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• seobook
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • seobook
  • Loc: we are Penn State!!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you want an idea to spread in any medium you need to use some type of force. with a few months internet experience you can get just about any marketing message into any of the major search engines.

Yahoo! has recently been purchasing some links that manipulate their own search index :(
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find that internet manipulation is hard. it is too big to be manipulated. sure, you may influence some small parts of it with some rumors n stuffs.

bottomline is :

not all information found on internet is entirely true. as users, we should know that... :-)
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

the main thing that has made google so popular is that you can't buy you way in or out....they set their own guidelines controlled by thier algo and crawl the web gathering content for their index....the only part of thier search engine that they enforce censorship in in the adwords area....all other results are organic....unless you do something to violate the guidlines in the algo your content should get listed. Even employees of google can't add or remove sites manually...or so they say.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL. "one post " guy is gone....
  • Tarantula
  • Born
  • Born
  • Tarantula

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,
Sorry for deserting the forum. Shortly after my original post, I was relocated to the Turk Islands where I've been deprived of internet. I'm sure this thread is well buried in the archives by now, but I'd like to try to revive it. While I appreciate the responses thus far, I'm still not convinced one way or the other.

Regardless of what a random Google Inc. employee might say, I still see where a factor of manipulation could easily be applied to search results. As the general Google tech probably doesn't have access to necessary information and resources that would be necessary to tamper with the inner workings of the google "machine", I would assume that they would not have any control over it's function.

I've noticed that search results will be different depending on where in the country I'm connected to the internet. The first three or four pages will yield similar results, but as you continue through pages, I've found the listed sites to be considerably different. Yet the first two pages are almost always identical, and the first page has always been verbatim. This naturally would suggest that search results are not aquired by a consistent means.

It's no secret that a website's list position can be governed by money. So why couldn't a financially dominant party pay Google or any search engine to exclude a particular site or page from search results if it was potentially damaging to the dominant party?

Be well,
T

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts