SEO and IP Address ?

• Jimbo Slice
  • Born
  • Born
  • Jimbo Slice

Post 3+ Months Ago

how crucial is it to have sites on different ip's? can I place like 5 sites on 1 IP, 5 on another and not interlink the sites on the same IP's? does each site need its own ip address?

I have been out of the website business for so long, I forgot how things work and the things that did work when I was successful 7-8 years ago are outdated now.

Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated. :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to this article Inktomi indicates that for the most part search engines index by the URL not the IP (although they did mention that it may vary by search engine).

Quote:
When I write to Inkotomi support desk, about this sharing ips check the answer that they gave to me:

My question:

Are search engines index only one site from one IP address (one DOMAIN (not URL) per one IP address) even though I submit both of them regularly?

Inkotomi support service:

When submitting sites, search engines only take into account the URL that is being submitted. Not the IP it came from. If the pages are different then there will not be a problem.

Virtual domains are very common on the internet, so if what is mentioned was true in all cases, search engines basically would not be effective in finding anything.

The problem mentioned is most likely not all that common, especially when priority submission are used due to the frequent refresh of details.

My question:

If 10 sites are hosted on one IP. If one site was banned because of spamming or someother thing. This banning is based on IP or domain name? If it is based on ip then all other sites are affected in search engine positioning?

Inkotomi support service:

Most engines will only ban the name(URL) and not the IP, although some may ban the IP as well. It is pretty much up to the individual engines how they do this.

If you suspect an IP has been banned you should contact the engine in question and sort it out with them.

If this information is accurate, then it shouldn't be an issue to host multiple sites on one IP. Considering the amount of shared hosting that is out there, I'd have to be inclined to believe this is the case.
  • Jimbo Slice
  • Born
  • Born
  • Jimbo Slice

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is GREAT information, thanks for posting. And it makes perfect sense, but the SEO experts and other readings make me scratch my head and wonder.
  • vittalsree
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • vittalsree

Post 3+ Months Ago

U can have multiple sites on a single ip but not all.
It does work for some but not for all so its better going for various ip addresses for a group of different sites
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a half-dozen sites all by themselves on a single IP address and interlink 5/6 of them. 4 of them have subject matter very relevant to eachother.

Having my sites together like they are seems to do me some good as far as getting new sites picked up quickly. I get guff from some people about the single IP address when I look for relevant link exchanges though.

Overall, I think I have a harder time with people who worry about sites being on different IP addresses than I do with search engines.
  • charcoal
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

So from that I'm making conclusion that all this SEO hostings are just for making money?
  • cyberdesignz
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • cyberdesignz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please give some clear answer according to SEO point of view. Because i have also confusion about this problem..Thanks guys!
  • Injunction
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
"Actually, Google handles virtually hosted domains and their links just the same as domains on unique IP addresses. If your ISP does virtual hosting correctly, you'll never see a difference between the two cases. We do see a small percentage of ISPs every month that misconfigure their virtual hosting, which might account for this persistent misperception--thanks for giving me the chance to dispel a myth!"

-Google Director of Technology Craig Silverstein Slashdot interview

I think this quote will clear some details
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Injunction, that quote is from an interview in 2002, 8 years ago. :)
  • brianrey
  • Born
  • Born
  • brianrey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please share more information about IP address and SEO.
  • jolly_web
  • jolly_web

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jimbo Slice wrote:
how crucial is it to have sites on different ip's? can I place like 5 sites on 1 IP, 5 on another and not interlink the sites on the same IP's? does each site need its own ip address?

I have been out of the website business for so long, I forgot how things work and the things that did work when I was successful 7-8 years ago are outdated now.

Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

Don't worry about your site IP unless you have hundreds of websites.

Do worry about your backlink IP and the IP posting to it. Captcha service may be logging IP to backlink within. Be careful. I use private proxies to post and keep accounts when I'm talking about my ebooks. Proxies services like Squid proxies (squidproxies. com) (about 2.50 each), Maven rankings(mavenrankings. com) (cheapest at 1.80 a pop), etc are also good for pinging.

Good luck mate :wink:
  • TroubleShooter
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whatever they said - it's better to use one IP for one URL. You can not control whether your IP is banned if other site located on the same IP got the ban. It's a common thing that site sent spam and its IP got the ban. But if your site has the same IP (for example your sites located on one and the same shared hosting) - you will get troubles because of it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts