SEO Crit

• mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wanted a kind of "critique" if you will, on a couple of sites I came across and their SEO methods. If you guys can see any do's and dont's, pros or cons please share.

I ask of this simply because I am trying to build an SEO resource where I can pull from it ideas, methods or techniques to help certain sites get ranked depending on the site and the content and its business for future projects.

These two sites in particular use an awful lot of meta tags - some of which I was under the impression are useless. I also noticed a trick they use at the bottom where the post terms as a link to the homepage...not to mention some tag stuffing which I thought google hated.

So if any of you SEO gurus would like to share - please do.

http://www.candywheel.com

http://www.e-loancentral.com

If I am not mistaken, they are both optimized by the same person(s) (don't know which).
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

their meta's are laughable. No need for all of them - i notice they repeat the keyword and description tags twice.... pointless.

Other than that - text in images isnb't good as searcg engines don't read it - neither seems to target specific phrases... 50 backlinks max..... no optimized anchor text.....
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Candy Site:

Yep, alot of metatags you don't even need. I personally do not even use keyword metatags on some of my sites because they are pretty much useless. It seems like all there tags are just keyword stuffed.

1/ The title tag should be clear and to the point. Six to 8 words would do it. Plus you should have your main keyword first in the title tag, and do some research. The first keyword phrase in the title tag is not even searched for.

2/ Their link exchange page looksmore like a link farm. You should only exchange links with sites within your business area.

3/ The large link stuffed with keywords at the bottom of the page will do nothing for them.

Loan Site:

1/ Title tag is way to long. Once again it is stuffed with keywords.

2/ Metatags used that you don't need.

3/ Keyword stuffing at the bottom of the page.

4/ Link farm-looking link exchange at the bottom of the page. An uneffective way to do a link exchange program.

5/ No DMOZ listing.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice rundown Jeff :)
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

8)
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

:)
  • WColby

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's something I found on that e-loan site, A automated reciprocal link proggie e-loancentral.com/linkbuilder

EDIT: I will give them this, the catagories are all on topic. Most the time I see people running these proggies they are filled with offtopic links.
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,

seen Candy site, pretty mess up with keywords and description tags., Also i have searched for "kosher candy" in google, They rank top...

My point is that, arent they liable to ban for spamming if somebody reports it to google.,

kashyap
  • webspace
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Knappa, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really see anything spammy about the meta tags.

I read in a gateway page marketing guide(I don't use gateway pages but it is good information just the same) that you can use any given meta search term up to six times on a given page and it is not spam on most search engines. (Some search engines the max is five)

I use my data twice or three times and Google seems to like my sites.

The keywords can be recycled in the title and in the description.

A title with only enough characters to fill the top of the window is a visitor freindly title and a title with more characters is a spider freindly title. Both types of title have been acceptable in my experience.

As far as the "meta name="sweet_boutique"" I really couldn't tell you. You might jsut consider asking the webmaster(s) of these sites how they come up with their SEO stratagies. Most of the people will just tell you.

Jess you're kinda cute. What's your sign? :starwars:

Anybody know a good ad broker/agency?
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, thats interesting webspace. But I was completely under the impression that tag-stuffing was not acceptable by search engines, especially Google. Do you have any SEO references for your methods out of curiosity? Please share if you do.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

they will prolly get into trouble for having that many words (anchor text) in their link at bottom of page.

they are number 1 for kosher candy cuz there is not much competition for those terms...

you can report them to google :-)
then they wont be number 1 . lol.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts