Is SEO Dying ?

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found a very interesting article about SEO that makes a number of good points about how the SEO "industry" is quickly dying off, and anyone who is basing their career on that type of work will need to quickly adapt to changing market conditions within the next three year or find a new job.

Quote:
If you are a company who employs an agency to provide Search Engine Marketing expertise, fire them. First, take the principles of search engine optimization (write focused content and use clean code) and have them distributed among the important personnel (development, marketing, sales, etc.). Make SEO organic, integral and integrated into your organization. Dont "do" SEO. Dont make it a separate function. Make tracking it part of your marketing effort.

http://learntoduck.com/search-marketing/seo-is-dead
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

SEO was a patch industry to begin with. It emerged to bridge the gap between new technologies being developed by search engines & browser makers.

Whether or not SEO Professionals helped close the gap is up for debate, but the gap is pretty much closed.
  • megastarmedia
  • Born
  • Born
  • megastarmedia

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
I found a very interesting article about SEO that makes a number of good points about how the SEO "industry" is quickly dying off, and anyone who is basing their career on that type of work will need to quickly adapt to changing market conditions within the next three year or find a new job.

Quote:
If you are a company who employs an agency to provide Search Engine Marketing expertise, fire them. First, take the principles of search engine optimization (write focused content and use clean code) and have them distributed among the important personnel (development, marketing, sales, etc.). Make SEO organic, integral and integrated into your organization. Dont "do" SEO. Dont make it a separate function. Make tracking it part of your marketing effort.

http://learntoduck.com/search-marketing/seo-is-dead

I found this information very helpful : ) Good advice : )

Steve
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think SEO will be big in the next few years. There are only a few search engines here in the big W and there are gazillions of websites and pages and still counting. Everyone wants to be included in the top listing, every site needs SEO. Yes, it is dependent on the search engine that's why it's called SEO.
  • artcoder
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Barrie North, founder of JoomlaShack says in his book "Joomla! An User Guide" on page 197 ...

Code: [ Select ]
"There is no such thing as a search engine optimization anymore. The only reality now is having a long-term web marketing strategy and a commitment to building a site full of quality information."

and on page 420 ...

Code: [ Select ]
"For a site that will perform well, you eventually need 200-odd pages of content. This is the important point: Quick SEO is dead! The only way to perform well in SEO now is to have a rich content site."
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I couldn't agree more, artcoder.
  • dofollow phil
  • Born
  • Born
  • dofollow phil

Post 3+ Months Ago

I work as an SEO for a marketing company for accountants, we develop website for firms and handle their marketing also.

Seo is the buzzword, all our clients are interested, they press us for it, they even get mad about it!

It does worry me though, the future that is, and belive me i have been thinking about this for a while, what will do next? I can design great sites, with clean CSS code and high text to code ratio! - ineffect thats seo!

I look at this way,....

seo is something that will be needed up until the search engines deem it obsolete! - FACT!

Now...

Google is already thinking about other ways to stop the "webmaster" controlling the ranks, I'm pretty dam sure google hate it!, until they can come up with anew method, like, user monitoring (Spyware), then seo is here to stay! - Google already knows everything about your site, you analytics don't you? you probably have Google tool bar too! - THINK! all that info being sent to them!

But still until that time comes seo is working
  • 48ways
  • Born
  • Born
  • 48ways

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe I am getting into SEO too late in the game, but the methods I am employing to improve rankings for some of my pages seems to be working just fine. From what I have seen and read, it looks like some more simple methods used in the past no longer work.
  • potchie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • potchie

Post 3+ Months Ago

seo are quiet easy but you have a strategical points before it get a result.
  • Intelrate
  • Intelrate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Market is objective. While SEO makes sense and brings money it lives.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I must have the wrong acronyms.

I was thinking

Search
Engine
Optimization

Where Optimization entails optimizing a site to be read and indexed by search engines better.

But, it seems like I'm reading mostly replies about

Search
Engine
Marketing

where Marketing entails leaving traces on other sites for search engines to pick up on.

:scratchhead:
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now I understand why nobody creates new discussions in these boards anymore. :(
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm all for a new concept. P.O. a.k.a. People Optimization -- i.e. optimize for your target audience and don't care less about what search engines do with it, as long as your audience responds. It's what the web is about.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
i.e. optimize for your target audience and don't care less about what search engines do with it, as long as your audience responds.

Isn't that the foundation of Design and Marketing?

It does amaze me though that so many people are willing to pay for SEO when any good developer should have done 75% of that stuff when the site was built.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

State of Washington sues Web/SEO firm, http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/35218
  • Yiwu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Yiwu

Post 3+ Months Ago

SEO is a one part of SEM.
  • blueberry62
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blueberry62

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a great web designer. I have also an seo guy. He has brought my site up to where it is in a very short time. Web designers normally don't know a lot about seo. While it might be dying, there are a lot of things you can do to optimize the internals of your site as well as link building.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my opinion if your web designer can't write valid, optimized markup to begin with then they aren't a "great" web designer at all. Web design is far more than just making something look pretty in Photoshop and slicing it up. Designing for the web involves the entire process, and good designers should have no problem living up to that.
  • blueberry62
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blueberry62

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seos charge a fortune normally. They don't always get the results that there high price tag demands!
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's because they try to guarantee too many things that aren't completely under their control.
  • paul8368
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • paul8368
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
In my opinion if your web designer can't write valid, optimized markup to begin with then they aren't a "great" web designer at all. Web design is far more than just making something look pretty in Photoshop and slicing it up. Designing for the web involves the entire process, and good designers should have no problem living up to that.

Exactly I couldn't agree more. A specific SEO person is creating his own niche in my opinion by telling you what has already been done wasn't good enough. In general I find when I am offered SEO as a function what they really mean is they will provide a link building service which often turns out to be fully automated based on the information you provide.

for example one guy offered to submit articles to hundreds of sites for my but I had to provide all the copy first. If I had enough copy for hundreds of submissions I'd be happy myself not to bother using the service but all he was really going to do was create a lot of duplicate content on an already cluttered internet, I just don't see the point. Alright maybe I'd get a lot of backlinks but at what cost to users. A lot of more of the same so I didn't bother, I'll continue posting myself and building my links at my speed, even if I do get distracted by reading forums most of the time.

Paul
  • Limotek
  • Limotek

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to say I don't agree with this article at all.

People will always need SEO to give them a boost over competitors on or off page. There are a lot of great tools such as wordpress that will help you create an seo friendly site quickly and easily but as soon as too many people use wordpress, someone will come up with something that will give them an advantage.

The SEO principles we adopt today may die within 3 years as search engine filtering adapts and relevant/quality content recognition is improved but there will be new SEO principles to adopt at that time. SEO will remain as long as you can adapt quickly to stay ahead of the game.
  • Todd Charske
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Todd Charske
  • Loc: Todd Charske - Sales

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting so then what's the whole Search Engine aka google going to use?

- Todd Charske
  • cwsteam
  • cwsteam

Post 3+ Months Ago

SEO is anything and everything that can bring is free traffic (mostly search engine traffic, but high quality partnerships may fall into the same category as well). SEO is not just adding Meta Tags, so I don't SEO is going anywhere.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

cwsteam wrote:
SEO is anything and everything that can bring is free traffic (mostly search engine traffic, but high quality partnerships may fall into the same category as well). SEO is not just adding Meta Tags, so I don't SEO is going anywhere.

"High quality partnerships" have nothing to do with search engine optimization. SEO is simply intended to improve rankings in search engines. Period.
  • saxena
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • saxena
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

If SEO is dead then why clients are paying upto $50/click for high ranking keywords to Google PPC ( Pay per click) ??

SEO's work their way around to reduce the costs incurred by paid advertisement on Google which can cost around 3-4 thousand dollars/month. SEO's charge 1/3 or 1/4 of the cost in order to leverage benefits out of natural rankings.

SEO can never be dead since search engines have become integral part of our daily lives.

There are certain businesses like 'pizza, restaurants etc" which do not generate much traffic from SEO users. Therefore these businesses do not indulge in SEO activities.

However in businesses like software, marketing, legal services, travel, and finance SEO has become an integral part of marketing efforts.

SEO is surely becoming difficult for newcomers, but we cannot say that SEO is dead.

If SEO is dead then first Google/Yahoo has to be dead.

Just imagine how many times you log into Google/Yahoo on every single day ? You will get your answer
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're missing the point of the article, saxena. It talks about how the SEO industry as a separate service could be dying off in yield to more integral SEO techniques in the core development of websites.

Nobody's saying that optimizing sites for search engines is unimportant. The article describes a trend in the industry away from 3rd party SEO services and keeping the optimization in-house.
  • saxena
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • saxena

Post 3+ Months Ago

If SEO is important then this industry will also become important as a separate industry.

However, it has become difficult to optimize websites especially new websites for Google. This is the reason why people sometimes get disappointed with the results.

Multinational Companies cannot afford to pay $50-$100/click for high ranking keywords. Click Fraud and Adwords Click Fraud has triggered several issues which can only be controlled through natural SEO.

Google is trying hard to ward-off those tracking it 24/7, and is trying to maximize its profits by "forcing" users to rely on their paid marketing mechanisms.

There are several thousand companies spending thousands of dollars each month on their PPC campaigns.

Moreover, the cost of hiring in-house staff could be several times higher than sending the same project to a 3rd party service provider specializing in SEO.

There are several issues which can consume a considerable amount of time. Any company which decides to hire an SEO manager can cost around $50,000-$75,000/Year. However this same project can be handled effectively by a 3rd party service provider at 1/3 or 1/4th of the cost.

It is more about costs + profits and the final results which will decide the future of SEO industry.
  • Happy-Hunting
  • Born
  • Born
  • Happy-Hunting

Post 3+ Months Ago

One should never pay for SEO, as graphixboy says most of it is done by your developer or you when creating the site.

If you write with people in mind and believe in what you write then your audience will find you, this I have foiund to be true anyway

Happy-Hunting ;)
  • saxena
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • saxena

Post 3+ Months Ago

Search engine industry will only increase in the next few years.

Search engine industry is not dying, but it is only growing bigger and bigger.

If SEO industry grows, then there will be more and more jobs for SEO professionals around the globe.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 47 posts