SERP doesn't make much sense in the light of SEO

• johtib
  • johtib
  • Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've read loads of articles from many different sources during the last month or so and I have a hard time to tie good SEO to the results I'm seing in Goole's SERPs. Take a search for "free games" for example.
  • The sites hardly use keywords in header tags.
  • They often have a very high keyword density in their title (two have 100%). Most articles I've read classify this as spamming.
  • They have a very varying amount of backlinks and that doesn't make much sense either.

I would very much appriciate if someone could give me an explanaition of why those ten sites have achived so high listings. It's a very popular key phrase.

P.S. No, I'm not grumpy because I haven't got a high listing with that particular phrase, I haven't even tried yet. ;)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google does not put much weight on header tags...yahoo does. Keyword density in the title is very important to google and if not over done will not be viewed as spam. Backlinks over the past few months are not very accurate...use an engine other than google to view these or use a tool such as: http://www.marketleap.com/publinkpop/
  • johtib
  • johtib
  • Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

phaugh wrote:
... Keyword density in the title is very important to google and if not over done will not be viewed as spam...

How is the density calculated. If the title is "Free Games" that's 100% density although I hardly think it would count as spam. That suggests that one should look at the count, not only at the density. Also, how important is the placement of the keyword phrase within the title?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts