do Splash pages hurt?

• samohtwerdna
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, I'm curious as to whether or not Splash pages with minimal content hurt search engine optimization?

If so, is there a way around this so I can still use my splash page?

Splash

??[/url]
  • ForwardGraphics
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been my experience that they do interfere with search engines indexing the entire site.

I had a website where it's index.html page did well in rankings, however, the entire site wasn't indexed the way other clients "non flash" sites were.
I recently changed my website to remove the flash and add more SEO friendly pages.

Boring, but hopefully effective :-)

Hope that helps,
Staci
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

A splash page has its purpose...if you are coke or pepsi and you want to showcase a quick offer...by all means...

but if you like the rest of us trying to build your search engine results don't ever use one
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look at sony.com

in my opinion they are doing it right :D
  • ForwardGraphics
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are right MadMonk...SEO friendly yet loaded inside with all the flashy features people love to see (and hear)
:D

Staci
  • samohtwerdna
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

does sony.com really quallify as a splash page?? it has lots of info and navagation buttons like a home page.

Anyway, what about the old trick of hidding content via CSS on you splash page for the robots. Will that help or hinder SEO?
  • boohlick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

samohtwerdna wrote:
Hello, I'm curious as to whether or not Splash pages with minimal content hurt search engine optimization?

If so, is there a way around this so I can still use my splash page?

Splash

??[/url]

They are all right bro.. if you want to SEO friendly make it non flash page.. if you dont to get rid of it, maybe palced on a page after your index, maybe main.html or something like that..
  • samohtwerdna
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok two things,
1) the flash part of my splash is only for the rotating pictures and the enter site link. (not that that leaves much for my html)
2) my index.php has nothing on it but a meta redirect to my splash page. Is that what you where suggesting?

Also after looking at sony.com I'm curious if links are more SEO freindly than paragraphs of content craftfully displaying as many key words as possible?
sony had over 150 links!
  • ForwardGraphics
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your website is absolutely beautiful, if I was able to redo my kitchen I'd be calling you.
Your initial question was do splash pages hinder search engines from indexing your site. The only experience I've had is that they keep the search engines from indexing the rest of the website past the index page.
However, I am a newbie :-)
and I'm certain there are people on this forum far more experienced then I who may know ways to get around that.

The sony site doesn't include a splash page, however, they have a well laid out index page that leads you to other flash elements.
Let's face it, Sony (with it's strong brand, content etc...doesn't need search engines) and yet they have laid out a website that is SEO friendly....interesting....

I have found that on a well laid out site links assist the engine in indexing the entire site. However, a content rich site is also important.

Good luck in your marketing and have a great weekend
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
does sony.com really quallify as a splash page??

no sorry I meant ...
you can imitate sony.com :wink:
sony doesnt have a splash page.

Quote:
Let's face it, Sony (with it's strong brand, content etc...doesn't need search engines) and yet they have laid out a website that is SEO friendly....interesting....

yeh. its true.
they are strong and yet they do good job /justice to their site :D
you dont need tons of graphics to make the website interesting.
Sony.com message is strong. They shold have a good internet marketing team too.

seriously i dont bother looking at splash or flash these days.
I donno about the public. I think flash is good for visual presentations only. other than that, it takes long time to load. boring too sometimes :wink:

madmonk

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts