Submitting to Excite - not free?

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

From what I can tell Excite no longer offers a way to submit to their Search Engine for free. The only place I see that you can submit is at the top middle portion of their page:

http://www.excite.com/

Once you click on that the you will see numerous packages to get 1 or more addresses listed. The cheapest package I see is $50.00 USD to get one URL listed! Has anybody found any other way to submit for them free of charge? or is this the only way?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

i personally have NEVER EVER BEEN successful in submitting my sites to excite, as it always times out and never goes through... anyone else have this same prob?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

So you were trying for the paid submission? I don't even see a free one, unless I am missing something? I remember a long long time ago you used to be able to submit for free, and I used to be listed on them then.
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had a look at submitting to excite.de (the german version), but really, the money they were asking for just didn't seem worth it. 1st, the pages had a low PR, and 2nd, if your name doesn't start with an 'a' you came somewhere down on a long list.

The other problem is, there were few decent links, so I don't see how, as a user, I would bother parsing through all the subcategories.

Basically, I think we projected a few dozen clicks a month.

...we didn't think it would be worth it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excite was aquired by Infoseek in 2002. As you can tell by going to Infoseek's web site they are powered by Google.

If you go to Exite's metasearch pages and click any category, you'll see a familiar banner. Click the open directory project link and submit your site to DMOZ as BWM has countless times suggested to others.

That's your free submission to excite now.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts