Theory on the DMOZ - Google Relationship

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many of you have read through the boards and may have noticed that I really feel DMOZ is important. Most of you do also. One thing I have said over and over again is that the DMOZ listing is more important that just a backlink. I believe not having one can be a road block to getting high positions in Google. I think there is a link between DMOZ and Google that goes further than just a backlink. For almost 5 months, I was unable to get into a category in DMOZ. This category holds all my top ranking competitors. For some reason I was not able to get good positioning for a very long time now. Well, I was included in DMOZ last week...finally. Yesterday, I had one keyword jump into the top 20, and looking today, and just had another 4 keywords. This may be an update, or a very big coincidence, but I think there is a special link between DMOZ and Google. I have one more client that I have been waiting for almost 6 months to get into DMOZ. It is a very competitive business area. I will see if I see a change there also, that would make this theory seem even more true.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is interesting that a single link can make so much difference. It could just be that the guys at google value the nature of the dmoz directory and feel that it is a particularly good indicator? They could have just written a simple if block to give added weight to a dmoz link (like a psuedo page rank boost)?
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exactly. DMOZ helps google show what kind of site it actually is. It's like Google asks DMOZ if this site is actually having anything to do with, in my case, printing. And DMOZ can show that yes, the site is in the printing category. This then allows Google to go ahead and give it an extra boost in that category and any terms that would have to do with that category.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well with the search engines looking to get the most relevant and useful content to the end user, it makes sense to place heavy weight on a reputable, human organised directory like dmoz.

If they place confidence in numbers of links and quality of links, why not adjust the algorithm for a particular site as a boost.

Hell it's a simple enough thing to do, especially when placed in comparison with the rest of the google algo :lol:
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it makes a lot of sense to me (from a user and not speaking for DMOZ)

If you are trying to provide the best 'relevant' results in response to a search then I think it is safe to assume that a site confired by a human as being relevant will have more of a standing than any algorithm.

I have heard rumours all over the place, for many many months, about how google is going to drop DMOZ directory..blahdy blahdy blah!!

The fact is nothing can ever replace the powers and descretion of a human and for that reason, even if Google stopped displaying the actual full copy of the directory, to provide the best result DMOZ will have to remain incorporated in the results in some way. If not it would strike me as 'cutting ones throat'. Especially considering for them 'humanly edited results' it costs them not one penny.
  • eCommando
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • eCommando
  • Loc: California, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

How can I get listed on DMOZ?
Been waiting for months for many sites.

What do they do when there are no editors for the category?

When asked on the DMOZ forum, they said still waiting for editorial review. :(

Only 1 of my sites is listed there.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You just have to wait. Some categories take a very long time to get into and some do not. If your category does not have an editor, usually someone higher up will handle submissions there.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

vetofunk I may have to disagree!!!

The reason being that last week was a major Google update and many sites including all my lesser PR site had been boosted dramatically and there for we don’t know if the Hilltop theory had been applied.

Sorry.

There’s nothing one can do about getting into Dmoz fast. My <shamelessplug>design portfolio </shamelessplug> has not been included and gets moved around for 2 years and is currently sitting in un-reviewed. If you cant beat them join them... I am an editor for the UK film section.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol at johan - you forgot your <shamelessplug> tags around your portfolio link :wink:
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

happy?

I mean that site is not in Dmoz but got a massive boost last week as well as other sites in and out of Dmoz. It was trend others had seen at the same time.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

how do you know if you are listed on dmoz ?

bots from dmoz detected in yr website? 8)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

no bots... just have to search the directory.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can also use the tool in Google toolbar to tell you if and what category of the directory you are in, if your in Google's directory...anyway.

Well I don't know if I believed in the hilltop theory, especially with this site, as there are many other sites in this business area that have been here years and years and are optimized to the t. I guess it could go either way, which is why I am going to see what happens to another new clients once their DMOZ listing goes through.
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should just mention that web design is obviously a very busy part of the directory and as such delays are likely to be lengthy. You would be surprised how many design companies are already listed but they truly feel the need to resubmit on weekly or monthly basis for no apparent reason.

I have had a quick look at the site and as a UK company you could submit to the regional part of the directory (review times are normally somewhat shorter) - however you have not done yourself any favours by limiting contact information. I personally, from your site, would not have any idea what part of the UK you are based. If this information was prominent and clear (perhaps a clear and full address on a dedicated contact page or about/profile page) then you could submit to the category based on your physical location. As it stans their would be no point submitting it to the physical location as this is not available from the site and thus would not get listed.

As for the search facilty it is still playing up I understand but indeed I can confirm the site is not presently listed anywhere in DMOZ.
  • disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

one thing that I noticed recently:

the PR of your dmoz category isn't accurate. you can generally add one PR (toolbar) point to this.

why?

when google transfers the dmoz data over to their directory, they give the PR a boost- and it looks like it's always one higher.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you have proof?
  • disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

me?

sure. load the google toolbar, go to a category in dmoz. then go to the same directory in the google directory.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

The PR of the DMOZ category is accurate. The PR of the page that you list in at Google is accurate.

They are two different URLs. Google has a higher PR than DMOZ, therefore the pages it links out to, and the ones that follow those, are also getting a greater share of the PR.

Google isn't maliciously altering the ranking of its own directory to be higher than DMOZ, it's just simply that those pages have a higher rank because of the PR passed along to them.
  • disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

google's looked at dmoz carefully, you can tell that.

the PR in dmoz isn't natural, it's assigned. it can be determined strictly by how far down the ladder it is- every step down is one step down in PR, every single time.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, including the main page for the domain

http://www.dmoz.com - PR9
directory.google.com - PR10

So it's passing a larger amount of PR to the pages lower down in the tree.

So, what exactly are you trying to say?
  • discountdomains
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • discountdomains
  • Loc: Telford UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://resource-zone.com/

Try asking the guys at the resource zone, they can often give an indication of how long a submission is taking etc.

Clare

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts