They say it doesn't matter, but the do it.. root directory

• User #2
  • Student
  • Student
  • User #2

Post 3+ Months Ago

When people ask "should I put my files in the root directory?", the experts always say "Nah, it doesn't make any difference. Organize them in the folders"
The funny thing is that most websites who get high ranking tend to put their files in the root folders.

Coincident?
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think it has to do with where the files are located...but how they are interlinked. I have sites that use folders and I have site that all the files are in the root...both rank well.

I tend to use folders when the site's sections have multiple pages...it just makes it easier to manage.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Greatone
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Greatone

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most people didn't know administering such servers and they are only relying to the default folders assigned by their hosting which is the root. I think that's the reason why.
  • willthegeek
  • willthegeek

Post 3+ Months Ago

Using folders also allows you to protect files you don't want accessed by just anybody. These include files where you store programs that are for sale via download, images and any others.

Regards,

Will
  • GuyFromChicago
  • GuyFromChicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pages located in the root directory do have a slight advantage (all other factors being equal) over pages outside of the root directory.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Pages located in the root directory do have a slight advantage (all other factors being equal) over pages outside of the root directory." ..can you prove this?

I've never read anywhere in any of the white papers from google where the location of a file has any bearing on it's rank, pr, or any other determining factor. What are you basing your theory on?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

This an old debate. Root pages used to show more PR with the same link structure about 4/5 years ago... it was debatable back then.
  • iBold
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • iBold

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to have a site (2+ years ago) where the pages in folders had a higher PR then the pages in root. Then again I worked pretty hard to get them more PR..but I think it disproves this..
  • Bidera
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Bidera

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's funny, so basically it could go either way, or to phrase it better, it really does not matter..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts