2 TIPS TO HELP YOU GET INDEXED AT DMOZ (ODP)

• ric

Post 3+ Months Ago

QUICK DMOZ TIPS... #1

You don't have to stop when your homepage is listed at DMOZ. If you have other pages optimized for certain keywords, find a category at DMOZ where that page fits well and submit it. DMOZ editors say they prefer to add only homepages, but will add inside pages if they're good & on-topic. The more pages you have listed at DMOZ, the more customers will find your site on all the search engines that use DMOZ data.

QUICK DMOZ TIPS... #2

Meta tags matter at DMOZ.
Bet you didn't know that.

DMOZ editors (sometimes) look at them and if you write a good, accurate (keyword rich) description then there's a real chance that it will be used as is. That same keyword rich description shows up on many of the search engines and directories that use DMOZ data.

Don't just load the description with keywords though. Even if the site is accepted, the DMOZ editor will change it to an accurate description - without regard for the keywords you're trying to target.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, some editors will pick up deep pages on your site, but please do not send us every page on your site that you think is part of another category. Possibly if your site truely is a good resource for a few different topics, we will add it to our category, but that rarely happens. We mainly see spammers trying to get every page possible into DMOZ.

Your second tip is correct. We will review the description you give us and see if it matches the content on your site. What can help us is the description tag on your site. But as you said, please do not fill the site description field up with only keywords.
  • Elite Skills
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Elite Skills

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know about this.

I'm a dmoz editor and the primary thing I look for is, is it compatible, fast enough to use and quality of the content compared to the rest of the sites. If it qualifies for the above I don't care what they have internally, I'm not going to peak under their skirt to see how efficiently they're targetting people. The job of the editors is to select sites with quality content for the category.

The only place could think this would apply is for people offering webservices and optimization. If their coding is crap, then they're not a good resource to offer to others.

Also, to the comment about not accepting sub sites of a site. It's about quality. The person who can buy another domain should not be held differently to those who can. It's true that it usually is only spam but, it's again, only about content, and not how many times the site has been in the directory. I hate editors who think otherwise.
  • shanee86
  • Born
  • Born
  • shanee86

Post 3+ Months Ago

He can anyone help me pout I own http://www.cheaptechsales.com amd I have tryed to submit to DMOZ and I can't seem to get in!!! My site is mostly a personal site but I have all kinds of funny pics movies games and more on it!!! Can you give me some tips thanks!!!
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may want to check with http://www.resource-zone.com to see why your site is not being accepted. Remember it can take a great deal of time, sometimes months and months til an editor reviews your site. Do not submit your site over and over again until you find the status of your submission on http://www.resource-zone.com.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts