Understanding Urchin results for SEO

• DalaiLama
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DalaiLama

Post 3+ Months Ago

Understanding Urchin results for SEO.

I'm having difficulty understanding how Urchin is coming up with some of its reports.

First, off I don’t understand what Urchin will not show "visitors" without the UTM. I am in the process of migrating data from Webtrends to Urchin. The site did not have the UTM installed for the period that I am building reports for. In the Webtrends reports, I have a "visitors" option despite the type of report I was generating. However with Urchin even when I select "on" for the "Process Visitors & Sessions" option, I do not get the "Visitors & Sessions" link that I get with the UTM reports.

Second, I don’t understand the reports and am getting results that I did not expect. The attached image shows one week of reports from the same log source for the same period of time.

Let’s say for example, that my co-worker and I visited a site. We would show up in their logs as the same IP, the same browser and the operating system. I would expect the logs for the site to be reported as an individual. However, with the UTM and Urchin, one would expect to see both my coworker and I reported as two individual visits.

However, if you look at the attached image, you see that Urchin is reporting twice as much traffic in the non UTM version as the UTM version.

I’ve included my logging properties. As you can see, I’m logging all the required fields and them some.

Perhaps, I am not reading this properly.

Image[/img]
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 1 post