Using Competitor Names in URL's

• Sheepdip
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Castle Anthrax

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did a search recently using a company name and the most-used search term in our industry. To my surprise, a competitor used our company name in their link along with the #1 keyword. Is that legal? Has anyone ever had this happen before?

Here is an example of what they have done (using other company names to make a point): Joe's Computer Crap, Inc. (JoesCC.com) has a link forwarding to his computer section. In the link, it uses Dell's name. So, for example, it looks like this: JoesCC.com/New-Dell-Computers.htm. In this example, we are Dell and the competitor is Joe's Computer Crap.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont really understand what you mean.

If he has the domain then theres not a lot you can do about it. He could complain that your company is using his domain name as your company name.
and the /New-Dell-Computers.htm after the domain is just a page name, that can be called anything he wants, theres no legal matters there.

i dont understand if you are joes computer crap or if thats the other guy.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I understand. It's probably something like this.

Google

Not sure what you can do about it though.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually I had a case a few weeks back where someone had used the

ozami.theresite.com which was redirecting to their site.

As it was a directory in the same field as ours I simply penned them a letter pointing out the legal implications of their actions. If this is what is happening to you, I have that letter somewhere i'll try find it for you.
  • Sheepdip
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman - We have legal rights to our name, and have for over 50 years. We are the largest company in our industry by a large margin, so our name carries significant value, especially in regards to our industry. That was why I used the example of Dell and "Joe's." (again, we would be like Dell)

ATNO - Yes, you're right, that would be a similar case. Unfortunately, because of their actions, when you search for our company name and our #1 search term, they come up before us in the results. So we're paying a lot of money to maintain the number one spot and all they have done is acquired a domain name and put a /Search_Term.htm link after it. It's brilliant. Should I do the same thing on my pages? (i.e. domain.com/Search_Term.htm, /Search_Term2.htm, etc.)

Jess - I would be interested in seeing how you dealt with your similar issue. If it wouldn't be much trouble, let me know if you find the letter. Thanks!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sheepdip I was thinking about it, and if your name is trademarked, then you should be able to do something about it. I mean look at Microsoft vs. Mike Row for example. I mean the website name he had wasn't even spelled the same yet they were able to take legal action on it. I suspect that a letter like Jess referred to would be a good starting point. You may want to check with the companies attorney as well for what you may or may not be able to legally do.
  • Sheepdip
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I suspect that a letter like Jess referred to would be a good starting point. You may want to check with the companies attorney as well for what you may or may not be able to legally do.

I have thought about contacting our legal team, but I'm in agreement with you in thinking that a letter might be the best, and least threatening method. Thanks for the advice.
  • Tim Otool
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Tim Otool

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I remember correctly... 2-3 years ago (?).
There was a web site who had a word "playboy" at their meta tag.
Playboy sued that web site and won some big bucks.

I know it's not URL, but somewhat related...
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should get real legal advise on this, i dont think its illegal at all.
And dont forget that just because you dont like something or just because something takes business away from you dosnt make it illegal.

In other words, dont start writting letters threatening legal action if what they are doing isnt acually illegal. otherwise it could be you that ends up in court.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts