Vivisimo?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did a search at OZZU before I posted (with zero results), but I was curious about what people might have thought or might think about Vivisimo.

I'm curious because of the association to my hometown of Pittsburgh (Vivisimo is Pittsburgh based), but am also interested in what folks think of the concept. (As a small p.s. Ozzu ranks higher on Vivisimo when you type in - webmaster forum - than it does on Google.) -- and no -- I am in no way associated with these folks...just curious.

http://vivisimo.com/

This came to my attention today from this article:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/0 ... index.html
  • pompei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pompei

Post 3+ Months Ago

I checked it out --- it's really not bad at all! I like the additional options on the side, although the frame-based preview stuff on results doesn't make too much sense for me at least.

I'm also comparing search results --- I'm not sure of their quality. A few terms I've tried in the academic circles don't come up where they should --- Google is much better for this. Which also led me to notice that the search results don't incorporate Google's algorithm. Interesting.
  • Ravnos
  • Ravnos

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are better metasearch engines available now. Vivismo for sure is good, apart from Jux2, Qelly, Profusion etc..

Its time to ditch google as they seem to be getting over us, which I dont like at all.

Moreover, MSN has improved a lot, I'm loving it by now ;)

But still, I'd still suggest metasearches, works great!
  • PortProphecy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • PortProphecy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vivisimo was a hot item back in the day, when meta searchers were relatively new. But today Vivisimo, Dogpile, and MetaCrawler are kind of old school.

Some newer meta searchers that I thinkare very impressive are ez2find.com, Turbo10.com, and Ithaki.net (I really like this one) . These give great results with some nice advanced search options if needed.
  • Ravnos
  • Ravnos

Post 3+ Months Ago

PortProphecy wrote:
Vivisimo was a hot item back in the day, when meta searchers were relatively new. But today Vivisimo, Dogpile, and MetaCrawler are kind of old school.

Some newer meta searchers that I thinkare very impressive are ez2find.com, Turbo10.com, and Ithaki.net (I really like this one) . These give great results with some nice advanced search options if needed.

So True!

But, I did not find any engine to provide google, yahoo and msn results altogether except for one - Qelly.com. They, however, seem to be in the development phase still as I dont see any trail of them in google and msn.

But I'm quite addicted to it by now and most things work fine. Additionally, they've some unique options in their adv. prefs.

The other engines I like is jux2.com, profusion (too advanced) and dogpile. :)
  • PortProphecy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • PortProphecy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have never heard of Qelly.com but just tried it out. It doesn't work properly at the moment, gives me all kinds of errors. But as far as meta searchers that search Google, Yahoo, and MSN you can try killerinfo.com. I know that one searches all 3 plus DMOZ, Looksmart and several more.
  • Ravnos
  • Ravnos

Post 3+ Months Ago

Qelly Works perfectly fine for me, oh yes, As I said they're still under development perhaps, they did'nt even use meta tags till late to avoid bots. I heard about it through an SEO contact.

For now, Web & Image Search work fine, rest works too, but not that good. I ditched jux2 for qelly as it lugs results from the three majors, google, yahoo and msn. Definately Worth a Try!

As for killerinfo, yes, its another great one, but not sure why, I dont feel like using it primarily.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts