What do I do if DMOZ's editor is totally slacking off?

• Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what I mean when I try to explain to people that they do not understand enough of the story to be able to be able to provide a valuable insight into the problems that DMOZ has (and yes I know it has problems or sorts - but they are different from those that the webmaster percieve).

Editors are notified on a voluntary basis when other editors may be away. These types of notices are placed within private internal forums the content of which is not to be disclosed in public. This is used very regularly by the very active editors even when they may only be away for the weekend.

One has to remember the essential way that the ODP functions and that is on a voluntary nature. We are not able to say that editors should do a 1 hour shift everyday nor even every week and accordingly, realisticly, we can't posssibly ask them to let us know how much and when they can or can't edit.

Any edit more than nothing is a help and someone will benefit from that edit and for thir time I personally am extremely grateful.

As for arranging 'cover' - when things get bad and levels of unreviewed sites in an area stands out amongst the crowd then there are teams of editors who take great pleasure in working together on those areas.

You also have to remember that editors join to edit in an area that interests them and they may not be interested in any other part of the directory. Therefore if I am interested in Cars and I find out internally that the bloke who edits in the flowers category is going to be away for a month then I am afraid I can't see me having any motivation to pop over an help out in a category that is of no interest to me whatsoever. If I wanted to edit in the flowers category then I would apply to edit there.

You also have to remember that the only people who can just up sticks and edit anywhere are editalls, meta's and admins. This means that the general 'run_of_the_mill' editor cant just pop over and help without first having to apply and show/prove their ability.

It is a hobby... not a job :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tim Otool
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Tim Otool

Post 3+ Months Ago

If for some reason you are not able to update simple links like a normal human being, for heaven sakes resign.
If my editor thinks it's a hobby... then why the heck doesn't he/she spend some time enjoying his/her hobby?
That's all I'm saying to my editor.
What I have is a Beavis and Butthead editor... There is no excuse for having us to wait up to one year... that's not normal.
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

ODP is not a service for webmasters and the ODP does not consider the views or feelings of the webmaster when deciding how and when to review a site. ODP does care about listing sites that are quality sites and yes it is regretful that some quality sites sit in piles waiting to be reviewed when we would prefer to list them and give our users access to them. The reason there are so may sites waiting to be reviewed is because of how some webmasters choose to try and abuse the sytem by making submissions that are not within the guidelines. We are still listing more sites every day and I understand that as a whole more than 500,000 sites where listed in 2004 alone (if I remember correctly).

Quote:
If my editor thinks it's a hobby... then why the heck doesn't he/she spend some time enjoying his/her hobby?

Just by the way you are talking in this forum I regret to say that I personally do not think you are the sort of editor that is going to be an editor for long. Your posts are very self serving in focus and your idea of being a service to webamsters seriously goes against the aims and objectives of the ODP as a whole. Although you have not said that in black and white it is very clear from the direction of your posts.

I seriously question your reason for joining the ODP and I truly hope that if you do stay on as an editor you are able to see from the inside out why your 'webmaster serving ODP' is a bad model. That is what Yahoo and the many other fee paying directories do..... good luck to them.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts