What do I do if DMOZ's editor is totally slacking off?

• Tim Otool
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Tim Otool

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think the editor who takes care of my site category at DMOZ is active.
He/she must be dead or something.

I am afraid to give him/her a wake up call.
I don't want to upset that person, you know what I mean..
I've already sent an email to the main email address.
mm
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• FatMouth
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

HA HA HA HA HA! This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read.

But seriously, if your site hasn't been included yet submit it to a different category.

And then you can go here http://resource-zone.com/
and get status updates on your submission.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

When did you submit your site to the category? It can take a very long time, I have a few that have been waiting almost a year. Sometimes it's just that the categroy has a huge amount of sites waiting to get in. I am an editor and I had about 100 sites backlogged, so it took me quite a while to get through and edit them all.

I wouldn't go submitting your site to all different directories. How long has it been since you submitted your site?
  • fourthring
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: San Diego / Beijing

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think there should be a way to impeach the editors. I have also submitted several sites and haven't seen any progress for over 1 year. I re-submitted after 11 months again, even though it says you shouldn't resend emails and resubmit.

Overall DMOZ is pretty difficult to get into, but it is worth it. I just wish they had a better process. Yeah it definitely depends on the category that you submit to.
  • FatMouth
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where does it say not to re-submit after a year (or any period of time)?

I've always made sure that I submit my sites to categories with active editors. I've never had to wait more than a few months.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tim Otool wrote:
I don't think the editor who takes care of my site category at DMOZ is active.
He/she must be dead or something.

This is the link to his page.
http://dmoz.com/profiles/lizdesign.html
There is a phrase that reads"(as of 1/21/04)" which indicates that person is a slacker.

I am afraid to give him/her a wake up call.
I don't want to upset that person, you know what I mean..
I've already sent an email to the main email address.
mm

Let it be. They have mods who can edit any category they want, also anypne who is editing a category above that one can edit it. It will get seen to in the same amount of time as everyone elses. (probably about a years time :))
  • Tim Otool
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Tim Otool

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought several months was a long enough waiting.
Hm...
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

If you resubmit your site to the same category then it simply overwrites your previous submission if it hasn't been seen to. This will cause you to be moved to the end of the list, meaning the editors that review sites by submission date take longer to get to your site.

Just submit your site - then forget about it. Best thing you can do.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jess wrote:
Quote:

If you resubmit your site to the same category then it simply overwrites your previous submission if it hasn't been seen to. This will cause you to be moved to the end of the list, meaning the editors that review sites by submission date take longer to get to your site.

Just submit your site - then forget about it. Best thing you can do.

Exactly. Maybe not a huge problem if your category has only 5 sites backlogged, but most categories have at least a hundred backlogged, so everytime you resubmit, you take yourself to the end of the list.
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I think there should be a way to impeach the editors.

As we don't serve webmasters there is no point. DMOZ is not a listing service and other than offering free directory content for those who wish to use it we do not provide any webmaster related services.

The more time editors spend replying to emails/feedback the less time they can spare editing. They do not have set hours and they fit in there editing between homework, college, kids, family etc etc.
  • FatMouth
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I should have specified that.

When you resubmit, make sure it's to a different category.

I definately wouldn't wait longer than 6-8 months.

And if you see this at the bottom of the category, DO NOT SUBMIT TO IT!

"Volunteer to edit this category."
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

FatMouth wrote:
Yes, I should have specified that.

When you resubmit, make sure it's to a different category.

I definately wouldn't wait longer than 6-8 months.

And if you see this at the bottom of the category, DO NOT SUBMIT TO IT!

"Volunteer to edit this category."

This may mean it will take longer to get into that specific category, but if that category is the best fit for your website you should submit to it. It will be the best thing for you in the long run.
  • FatMouth
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but isn't getting a link from ODP more important than which category the link is from?

If your site belongs in "Top: Society: Religion and Spirituality: Noahidism", then maybe you should wait.

But most sites will fit just fine in more than one category option.
  • dprichard
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Clearwater Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, if I just submitted my site last week I shouldn't be holding my breath?
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just write down the category and the date you submitted. Then wait 6 months to ask about your site at http://www.resource-zone.com
  • Tim Otool
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Tim Otool

Post 3+ Months Ago

So... if they have two jobs, 3 kids, and night classes....
Why the heck do they become editors at the first place?
  • FatMouth
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Slamming ODP editors is soooo 90's! :wink:
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Why the heck do they become editors at the first place?

Sometimes I actually wonder. Then again if I hadn't have joined there would have been 10,000+ less edits performed thus the pile would be bigger.

Editor sharing 'some' time is better than no time right?
  • MikeGibbs
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: England (and a little in Spain)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I've read through this thread with great interest.

Like many others, I submitted my directory site (http://www.viva-almeria.com, for a province in Spain) over a year ago. Unfortunately, the chap I work with (who's in Spain, I'm in the UK) re-submitted the site again to the same category in August ( :oops: ) and we're still waiting for inclusion.

What interested me was FatMouths comments regarding submitting to a category with 'Volunteer to edit this category' in it. That is on the category I've applied to - but it's simply the most appropriate category to be in. It would be a shame to apply to the wrong category just to speed things up - but it's also maddening that it takes so long (with a couple of young kids myself and running a business from home, I do sympathise greatly with the editors though).

I would really like to become an editor to help out - I applied a year ago but was rejected for some reason. Now, I do have a vested interest (as I run a directory site for this part of Spain) - but then again this means I probably have a greater knowledge of that category than most and (you may laugh) consider myself as one of the good guys in terms of being honest and objective. Do any of you editors have any insight as to what I should do to become an editor - or does having a pending site in the category I would edit prohibit me automatically? I could spend 4-6 hours a week editing.

Other than that, presumably any advice would be along the lines of waiting and being patient to get into the directory. Though tips / suggestions to help are very welcome.

Cheers,
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha. me too. I got rejected twice cuz I have vested interests in same category.

I should rem not to mention that when i apply for it :-(
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I got rejected twice cuz I have vested interests in same category.

This is unlikely to have been the reason as having a knowledge of the category can make a better editor. The most common reason for denial is often the fact that the category applied for is perhaps to big for a new editor. Remember that you may only see 30 - 50 sites listed but on the other side there may be 100 sites waiting in which case it would be way outside of the scope of a trainee. I have affiliations in many categories that I have applied for and been approved but the key really is to be honest and read the guidelines word for word. Always make sure you declare affiliations as you would be surprised how easy it is to link people to sites that they keep quiet about.

In relation to submitting to a different category which is not really appropriate... dont do it! You run an extremley high risk of seriously affecting the time it takes for a review. The likelyhood is that when an editor reviews the site, then finds the correct home for it, they are not be able to edit in the category that it should be in.... therefore it will be moved to the pile for that category and will have to wait for a fresh review by someone who can edit there. If the editor reviews by submission date this will also mean that it goes from queue 1 all the way to the bottom of queue 2! The chance of this happening are so high it is a really worthless effort. I for instance have more than 10,000 edits yet I can only edit in less than probably 3% of the whole directory and I am far from a trainee. Do the math and tell me the likelyhood of me being able to move your site to the correct category and actually list it!!

Quote:
Do any of you editors have any insight as to what I should do to become an editor - or does having a pending site in the category I would edit prohibit me automatically? I could spend 4-6 hours a week editing.

First and foremost the guidelines are so important and you can never read them enough before an application. They will help guide you into writing a guideline compliant description and title for sites and obviously the ones submitted in the application are likely to be examined in much detail.

Secondly don't necessarily base your descriptions on ones that appear in the category you are applying for as it is possible that they may no longer be compliant - the guidelines and editing styles change and develop.

Here is an excersise for you...... (both of you)... write titles and descriptions for the following sites and post them here:

http://www.viva-almeria.com
http://www.southbeach-usa.com
http://www.fbi.gov

And no... having a site awaiting approval will not have an effect on the application unless it is suspected that the sole purpose of applying is to list this site.
  • MikeGibbs
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: England (and a little in Spain)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Buster,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure that the category I applied for is that big (though perhaps the unseen backlog is disproportionate to the approved sites). It may well be that the samples I did before were not up to scratch, though I did spend a fair amount of time reading the guidelines as I recall.

I'll have a good review of the guidelines again (it's been a while!) and post my efforts here. It's likely to be after Christmas at the moment though if that's ok?

Thanks for taking time out to help us both.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

agree with you buster on everything except this.

Quote:
The most common reason for denial is often the fact that the category applied for is perhaps to big for a new editor.

I applied region specific and related to my industry.
It comes down to a small section. nothing too big for new editors.
Will PM you the exact category. :-)
hope you can shed some light on this..
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks, and really curious on why my app. got rejected! Just Pm'ed ya the category i applied for !
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a PM madmonk :)

Mike that is cool. If you prefer to not air your attempt in public then feel free to send them via PM.

Rememeber that for a new editor you should not really be looking at a category with over 50 sites. Once work has been done on the current sites it is then simply a case of applying internally after you have been able to prove your abilities.

50 is not a figure set in stone and remember that there are sites behind the scenes that you cannot see so realisticly the smaller the cat the more likely it is not out of the scope of a new editor.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool man, buster.
Saw the PM. the category is still too big for me.
great insight on the amt of work there is... :-)
  • Tim Otool
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Tim Otool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, I'm the original poster to this thread.
I resolved the problem by becoming an editor myself.
It took me about 20 min to apply... and took about 4 weeks for them to get back to me with the welcome email.

I'm editing the category related to my own web sites, but the SLACKER still sits on my main category.
I want him/her fired.
Anyway, I'm satisfied for now.
And I know for sure that my editor is slacking off.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

congratulations Tim! :D
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find it quite disturbing that you can truly think that because an editor is not performing editing tasks that they are as slacker. Believe it or not there is life outside of the ODP.

How do you know that the editor has not died or is in hospital. Perhaps a family member is ill or his own paid work (the one that supports his family) has increased.

You are talking about something that you know nothing about and facts that are over and above editing logs. I hope that your experience within ODP allows you to gain some valuable knowledge about the ODP and its editors.

I wonder how long you will last and how many edits you will do.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

In all fairness, if something like that has happened then they (DMOZ) need to be notified. I am a moderator here, and although I don't get paid - if we are to be away for long we are asked to let people know, for one - so noone worries something has happened and two - someone else can cover for the extra work when someone is away for an extended period of time...

I know as you are a editor for DMOZ you stick up for them, but can you understand the frustration of someone who has trying to get in it for a very long time..
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts