What should an SEO company provide?

• furog
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently employed a SEO company and am unsure what I should expect from them in terms of deliverables. I realize that SEO is a slow and tedious process but this is what I have gotten thus far.

1) Took 3 of my web pages and deleted html lines at top and redefined keywords and title. (I must add that I had to fix 2 pages when they deleted to many tags)

2) Loaded my index page with search terms and links. It looked very spammy and I told them to change the color and I reworded the sentences so at least it was readable.

3) They placed a link on their website.

That is it. I had already listed with Alexa and I am paying for clicks thru Overture.

What else should they be doing? I keep asking for some type of communication/report telling me what they are doing and I get nothing. My stats look the same week after week and my searches produce the same results. I don't mind paying but there again...what should I expect?

:shock:

furog
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

they don't sound like they're a very decent company. who are you using to do the work, and how much are you paying?

SEO's can do a lot of different things.

what I'd normally expect is things like optmization of the text by rewording things, redoing the html titles, perhaps changing some code (making use of h1's, etc).

that's on-site optmization.

there's also off-site optmization which is also very important. there are a number of ways they could go here; paid inclusion on directories (zeal, yahoo), free directory submissions (dmoz), and they might go as far as buying links for you to boost your ranking.

if they're doing blatant keyword stuffing- to the point where the visitors know something's not right- you may want to find someone else to do your SEO work.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

A few things you should look for:
1. Are they ethical? If a company can guarantee you a certain position, usually in a certain time period, it could be a scam. No SEO company can guarantee you a certain position in the natural search engine results.

2. Make sure they will optimize your site for words having to do with your business and are actually searched for. Anyone can optimize your site for "pink wood powered dolphins". :roll:

3. You should ask to see the current rankings of their other clients.

4. You can also look into organizations for your SEO, including http://www.sempo.com and http://www.seoconsultants.com.

A few things the SEO company should do:

1. Research your keywords and your competitors.

2. Give you the recommended changes for your site. Then optimize all your pages and the whole navigation of your site. They should focus on getting you great positioning in top engines including Google, Yahoo, MSN, and others. They should be including you in DMOZ and the Yahoo directory and not just a listing, they should optimize your whole title and description in the best possible category.

3. They should increase your Pagerank. This can be done by submiting your site to other relevant sites and directories. If you want to do reciprocal linking, they should only link with other relevant sites.

4. Track your natural listings, ppc ads, xml feeds, and also track where all sales, visitors, and other data come from...plus report you on it. We actually have a program that allows you to view your status anytime you would like.

There are a few more, but this is just a start. Its pretty early in the morning for me so I just wanted to add my input, plus I work for a great SEO company ;-)
  • furog
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

The SEO actually posts to this site. I found this site only after doing a google search and seeing where he was using my URL to defend his practices. Hint...check my profile for my website and do a google search and you will see.

Payment was nominal as they were in India. I had been following script boards and they were rated decent on the boards. As I didn't understand exactly what they were going to do...I didn't want to spend alot of money either....my fault partially as well.

Obviously I have learned lesson #1 but now I am back at square 1. Can anyone give me recommendations as to a good SEO provider and what the average cost should be? I am not against paying at all but I'd like some referrals from people that have worked with reputable, fair, and affordable SEO optimizers.

Thanks

furog
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yo man. hows it going ?

about script boards, It is hard to trust them. I had bad experiences with some of them. Was trying to outsource my friend's hobby project for her and I used programming/scripts boards.

They will try to jack up the price and try to make your project seem like a lot of work to do. That's normal i guess :-)
but be careful anway.

they went MIA in the middle of project . Cannot find them.
when i found them, they will say that their server crashed. Found them again, server crashed, bla bla bla.
total project time frame went way past its schedued time frame
:x

For the same project, I chose another guy to do the website.
this time, I have a lot of promises.

"yes sir, everything's under control" "I am almost done with it"
"I will not sleep and work for the next 24 hours" etc.

result- Not A SINGLE THING done...not even one.

These are actual quotes I have made so far

Abit dodgy. Many reviews doesn't mean a thing too! Too bad.
All these are my experiences with such boards so far (2 months).

If you need help with Search Engine Optimisation, my best bet is vetofunk in ozzu. :D
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

oops, I forgot . Welcome to OZzu!!!
everyone's all out to help here. :D
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure what you are wanting to budget on SEO, but Im am just going to plug our company, http://www.pwim.com. We do everything I mentioned above and more. I can give you a list of sites we have created/optimized and the keywords we optimized if you like. Also, if you would just like to speak to us, we could set up a meeting for sometime next week.

Otherwise, I am sure the members and I can give you a bunch of free tips on how to get better positioning in the engines.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts