What's the ideal number of inbound links per month?

• draganta
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi everyone!
i just wanna know if there's a limit in having inbound links?
others said that the ideal number of inbound links per month is 50.
can anyone justify?
thanks a lot :D
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think there is really and 'ideal' number. You just don't want to get a number to great that it really looks artifical to the engines. The key is to make the link increases as natural as possible. Maybe a few for the first month, and then increase them from there. I wouldn't go and get 100 links your first month, as that could put up some flags.

This is just my opinion...
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Getting 100 in your first month would be ok, as long as you plan on getting 150 in the next month, then 300 the month after,, and so on.

like veto said, the thing is to make them look natural.
  • eli03
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • eli03
  • Loc: PH

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm, what will be the effect if you submitted your site to more than 200 plus directories in one day ?

I did it to my web directory site, and I already have more than 200 inbound link with a short period of time (less than a month). Probably it's okey to have an inbound link more than 50 or 100, if you are targetting a competitive keywords. for example "web directory" . :roll:
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the backlinks don't appear to be natural you may get penalised, or they may just not count them as backlinks.
  • trafficman
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • trafficman
  • Loc: France

Post 3+ Months Ago

Has anyone have got a proof of these statements?
Is there any post concerning those from Google or other search engines?

I look forward to hearing from that thread.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is plenty of documentation about why google look out for natural backlinks, and backlinks that are not purchased.

But the gist of it is because page rank is supposed to be based on how many sites link to you, Not how many times you post your link on the internet, or how many links you buy.

If google done nothing about link spamming and purchased links it would make thier page rankĀ® completely unworkable, Because all you would have to do to get a massive PR is buy enough links and spam enough sites.
  • trafficman
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • trafficman
  • Loc: France

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the reply. I indeed saw lot stuff about quality of backlinks and link farms, but it is the first time I hear about the quantity evolution; would it be harmful for your website suddenly having a big amount of quality backlinks?
  • draganta
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks everyone for the responses. now i know what to do. the key is to "make backlinks look natural to the SEs"
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

trafficman wrote:
thanks for the reply. I indeed saw lot stuff about quality of backlinks and link farms, but it is the first time I hear about the quantity evolution; would it be harmful for your website suddenly having a big amount of quality backlinks?

I don't know for sure, But i would guess having a lot of backlinks suddenly appear from good quality sites would be more likely to be seen as natural than a lot of backlinks appearing from poor quality sites.

Google would also be more than likely to take into consideration where the link is.
So if your link is on the index as part of the main content it would be better than having your link in a side bar under the title "affiliates", In the footer with size 1 anchor text, Or in an area where people can 'submit' their own content (like blog spamming).

milliondollarhomepage.com has got a PR of 7, and it has only ever seen one PR update and it's 6 months old. So how quickly backlinks appear is not the only factor google use to determine how "natural" backlinks are.
The quality of those backlinks do seem to be a factor.
  • jeruk
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Hermosillo

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i submit my site in a program like gold web position to much search engines and directories, they not count as backlinks right? :?
  • Ganceann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Ganceann

Post 3+ Months Ago

PR aim was for the web to naturally rank pages due to popularity and usefulness.

Obviously at one stage PR was a huge factor in serps - over time many link farms and link-buying services started up and caused an artificial PR to occur.

This made PR a lower factor in determining serps results, and as a result PR is not viewed as important - it may be a small overall affect on the serps results but not highly important.

With the increase in blogs also creating artificial PR, the evolution of search engines is in a new twist - blogs + RSS.

It will adversely affect a new site to suddenly get 100s of backlinks - especially if they are in sites already de-listed or banned by google as it will automatically count them as artificial. This may be when it hits the famed 'sandbox'. A delisting while further analysis by google will determine if it is valid or invalid (artificial links).

If all links are from blogs - it may not contribute towards PR or factor into backlinks calculations but only serve as an entry point for spiders to access the site. This will further reduce artificial linking and 'google bombing techniques' that have been successfully employed in the past to gain high serps returns for set key phrases.

Google and other search engines will have a lot of bad directories likely banned or penalised in their serps for one reason or another ( most of the cases will be duplicate content sites as some directories offer you a service, and then artificially boost backlinks to your site by submitting to a few duplicate sites they also run).

It is all about growth, if your site does not grow in backlinks at a steady rate while it is developing the backlinks may not count and therefore be of no benefit to you. It may cause your site to be punished by some search engines, and not by others.

Google and other search spiders can also do whois and match domain registrations and inbound links. Loads of new web addresses pointing to your site may look like artificial links, especially if all registered in a similar location.

A huge factor in most things is time - and only over time will good sites rise and bad sites fall ... that is the theory :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts