Who is on my IP?!?

• vision
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some time ago (years ago?) I found a website that would list all websites operating on an ipaddress.

You type in the IP and get a list of websites on that address. This was ideal for seeing who is on your IP for the purposes of search engine stuff... gotta know who is around you.

Anyone know of a site like this?
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: europe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Some time ago (years ago?) I found a website that would list all websites operating on an ipaddress.

I don't think it's possible (but i am not an expert) to have multiple website domain names on a single ip because how would the DNS server request process tell the diffrence between those multiple sites?

For instance MYDOMAIN.COM has the ip 215.132.165.12 and YOURDOMAIN.COM also has 215.132.165.12 how would this be handled?

DNS wise this isn't possible i think, but once again i am not an expert. Maybe you are refering to a site that looks up an ip of a SINGLE website domain that you enter?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

reaper wrote:
I don't think it's possible (but i am not an expert) to have multiple website domain names on a single ip because how would the DNS server request process tell the diffrence between those multiple sites?

Of course it's possible. You can have an unlimited number of hostnames pointing to an IP address. You can only have one hostname on REVERSE DNS (that is, you can only have an IP address resolving to 1 hostname), but you can have unlimited hostnames resolving to an IP address.

reaper wrote:
For instance MYDOMAIN.COM has the ip 215.132.165.12 and YOURDOMAIN.COM also has 215.132.165.12 how would this be handled?

Your Computer : Hey what's the IP address for mydomain.com?
DNS Server : It's 215.132.165.12
Your Computer : Ok, so what's the IP address for yourdomain.com?
DNS Server : Hold on, lemme look. Ok, that one's 215.132.165.12 too
Your Computer : Right, so what's the hostname for 215.132.165.12?
DNS Server : That's server12363241.somedomain.com

Having multiple addresses on a single IP address is not uncommon at all. Just look at pretty much any web server.

domain.com and http://www.domain.com are two completely different hostnames (from a DNS standpoint). Yet, often, both point to the same exact IP address.

* Resolved cnn.com to 64.236.24.12
* Resolved http://www.cnn.com to 64.236.24.12

You get what I mean? :)

As far as the original question goes, http://www.whoisreport.com used to offer this service free of charge. They do still provide it, but only to paying customers (they're not that expensive though for what they offer).
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Axe for clearing that up 8)
  • vision
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
reaper wrote:
As far as the original question goes, http://www.whoisreport.com used to offer this service free of charge. They do still provide it, but only to paying customers (they're not that expensive though for what they offer).

Ah, very nice tool. Never seen that site before. They show 661 other websties on my IP Address (guess my host is doing well!)

As you mentioned, you must be a paying member to see the information. They also list if a website is blacklisted (from the search engines, or spam blocks who knows...).

Anyone know a site that has been blacklisted from the search engines, it would be cool to test it to see what it reports.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

vision wrote:
They show 661 other websties on my IP Address (guess my host is doing well!)

Or doing badly... sounds like they may be way over selling their space.

Yes, it does apparently list if a site is blacklisted. Looks like it's spam blacklists, not search engines. I'm assuming this as I do know of one blacklisted domain, but I'm not going to post the URL because that scumbag doesn't deserve the exposure that a post here would send him. :)
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, last time I checked, I was hosting 7 domains on my IP address. Quite common, I believe.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just add my two cents to axe's post...when the dns gets the request for a domain and resolves it to an ip....the hosting server then handles that request using a NAT (Network Area Translator)...kinda like and in house dns...the nat then finds the appropriate site and returns the correct page.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can to see some of the other sites that are on your ip...if you share one....by registering for a free account here: http://www.whois.sc
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's nothing to do with NAT, it's to do with the HTTP request.

You can telnet to an IP address, and say "Hey, give me domain.com/index.html"...

Telnet back to that same IP and say "Hey, give me domain2.com/index.html"...

NAT has nothing to do with it. You think these companies that have 500 websites on a single IP address have 500 different machines in their office or data center hosting each of 'em? :)

http://www.whoisreport.com and http://www.whois.sc are the same people.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

OH :oops:
  • nxb22833
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • nxb22833

Post 3+ Months Ago

The most usefull one that I have found is:

domainsdb.net

Cheers,

Nelson
  • dukappa
  • dukappa

Post 3+ Months Ago

use "Ping http://www.***.com"
you can get the right IP
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

whois.sc
Quote:
Web server hosts 2960 websites (reverse ip tool requires free login)

and domainsdb.net tells me i have 326 domains on my ip.

Who to believe?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it's possible that one may store older whois records (thus older DNS records).

Either way, I personally would consider 326 domains too many. 2960 would be absolutely ludicrous :)
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's an account registered with godaddy.com, economy hosting.

What disadvantages could this have for me? Apart from posible blacklisted sites that are on the same ip and therefor would or may have an impact on SE results.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as SEO goes, about the only disadvantage you'll receive is from other sites on the same IP linking to you.

Just that many sites on a single server, looks VERY oversold to me. :)
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah maybe, actually i really have no idea what the regular amount of other sites on a shared hosting supposed to be.

godaddy is one of the biggest if not biggest hosting company in the world so i think they can manage it, anyhow i do have a little confidence they know what they are doing.

Good info BTW about other websites on the same ip linking to my site, i should taka a look at it more closely.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts