Why my site alway got good position in Yahoo but not google

• bb99
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bb99
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

Something i really dont understand is that why my site alway got some good position in some keywords in yahoo but not in google.

Why ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• monoheinz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bacause Yahoo isn't Google and vice versa. Live with it.
  • bb99
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bb99

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya i understand this... So site must be design in 2 different ways. one for each search engine.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

monoheinz wrote:
Bacause Yahoo isn't Google and vice versa. Live with it.

Or learn how to work both engines with the same page - the live with it attitude isn't going to get you anywhere.

Lol if we all just went - damn it - google only put me at 100,00,001 for my search term, nevermind i'll just live with it.... the web wouldn't be very interesting.
  • stoner3221
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: United States, New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

bb99 wrote:
Hi guys,

Something i really dont understand is that why my site alway got some good position in some keywords in yahoo but not in google.

Why ?

Check out the webmaster section in Google and optimize your site as they recommend. It will help you out a lot.
  • monoheinz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jess wrote:
Lol if we all just went - damn it - google only put me at 100,00,001 for my search term, nevermind i'll just live with it.... the web wouldn't be very interesting.

My point was that you should concentrate on high quality content rather than hacks that might push your pagerank upwards. At the end of the day, it's what people are looking for.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

monoheinz wrote:
Jess wrote:

My point was that you should concentrate on high quality content rather than hacks that might push your pagerank upwards. At the end of the day, it's what people are looking for.

He wasn't talking about pagerank ......

Sure quality content is an important aspect - but whats the point having the best web site in the world if nobody can find it? or even know that it exists? :P
  • bb99
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bb99

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank Jess,

You got what i mean. I will check with the the webmaster section in Google. Thanks a lot.
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

The reason why your site shows up good for certain keywords in one search engine and not the other is because Yahoo and Google are both major competitors.

If they both ranked sites in the same way then it would not be a good thing as their results on both sites will be the same or very similar.

That's why you sites shows up good for certain keywords in one search engine and not in the other is because they rank their sites different so that they can try and make their search engine the best on the Web.
  • ZenSEO
  • Student
  • Student
  • ZenSEO

Post 3+ Months Ago

My main site I work with also ranks highly w/ yahoo/msn/altavista/hotbot but not google.

These are the factors as far as I can tell why:

Yahoo
* Ranks higher for seo techniques such as keyword density, keywords in proper places, etc.
* Fewer filters
* Picks up backlinks quicker

Google
* Doesn't like a lot of SEO tricks / has more filters
* More complicated backlink algorithm (w/ filters) and less frequent backlink updating

IMO Yahoo/msn/hotbot/altavista are just plain easier to get ranked in w/ a sufficient # of links and proper keyword formatting, at least for easy to moderate keywords -- highly competetive keywords still ain't no joke ;)

I think Google just really likes to *peach* with people. What's messed up about google is they come up with all these rules and filters for SEO and the unscrupulous just go around them and the people who follow the convoluted rules just get screwed. Google is just plain *peach* because I have sites that should be ranked constantly in the top 5 for all their keywords based on quality, links, etc.... but google will penalize you for standard seo stuff that isn't even trickery while letting other seo tricksters fly by. can you tell google is upsetting me? :)
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find that it is easier to get a site ranked #1 within Google than what it is in Yahoo!

I don't know if it is because I only optimize my sites for Google or what.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The basic difference is that google pays more attention to anchor text in backlinks. Yahoo will look more at on page seo.

Yahoo is trying to make itself as different from google as it can without compromising results....I recall Jess mentioning that yahoo is taking a closer look at the parts of the page that google tends to ignore...this is very true. A well written description tag can get you good rankings on yahoo.

I have one site that has over 700 backlinks in yahoo and another that has only a dozen or so...one site ranks #1 the other #4....In google the site with 700+ backlinks ranks #4 and site with a dozen links is #300+ .. the same on page techniques were used on both sites.

I also see about even traffic from both search engines....everyone is always saying that google drives 4X the traffic to their sites but I don't see that...this month google accounted for 919 refferals and yahoo 677...last month google 1002 and yahoo 967.....
  • dreams
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New Delhi

Post 3+ Months Ago

in yahoo if you put the search terms more and more times in title, keywords & description you will soon get good result in yahoo.

But not in google just becase goole looks for i dont what ????

But i got Ranking in google for my Different Websites with different method. Even i dont know how i got the rankings but i applied all the methods what i learn from there search trend and forums like a ozzu.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I find that it is easier to get a site ranked #1 within Google than what it is in Yahoo!

I don't know if it is because I only optimize my sites for Google or what.

your supp to optimise for yahoo as well. You probably got the site ranked first cuz of brute PR strength and link exchange! :P

lol. btw, whats the most competitive term in yahoo? anybody knows?
juz wondering....
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"real estate" returns over 91 million pages....that's pretty competitive
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
"real estate" returns over 91 million pages....that's pretty competitive

very competitive indeed. too bad i dont have real estate clients to try..
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I somehow managed to rank # 275 out of 91 million...and I don't really target just "real estate" ...there's usually some other keyword before it like "MyTown Real Estate" since that's what the site is really about.....but that's just on yahoo....in google I'm sure I'd be somewhere around #89 million :)
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I somehow managed to rank # 275 out of 91 million...and I don't really target just "real estate" ...there's usually some other keyword before it link "MyTown Real Estate" since that's what the site is really about.....but that's just on yahoo....in google I'm sure I'd be somewhere around #89 million

thats scary. Sometimes, I think having lots of money is good for seo too. It makes seo easier. the big boys can dominate the search results anytime, anyday if they want to. :-)

i bet the top few guys in real estate in google are big boys..
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

the #1 site has 267,000 backlinks....I couldn't do that in a life time...you would have to get 14.5 links a day for 50 years...guess I better get started.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

phaugh wrote:
the #1 site has 267,000 backlinks....I couldn't do that in a life time...you would have to get 14.5 links a day for 50 years...guess I better get started.

An advertisement on the internet.com network would get you close to 100,000.

Thats a whole lot of links though.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

But wouldn't that require a giant bag of money?
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if it was Internet.com or another site, but anyway if it was then I think that it was just over $4,000 a month for one listing or something like that.

I could be wrong though.

I guess if you write articles and press releases about your sites, then your should get quite a few one way links to your site that way.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

john5269 wrote:
I don't know if it was Internet.com or another site, but anyway if it was then I think that it was just over $4,000 a month for one listing or something like that.

I could be wrong though.

Absolutely right - thats what we paid a while back, its probably more now.
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jess,

As you have used Internet.com before. Could you please tell me how many hits a day or month you got from Internet.com so that I know if it's worth me getting advertising on their site just so that I can directly receive traffic from them.

I am not worried about the PR that I will receive, I just want to know how many visitors on averaged clicked through from Internet.com to your site on a daily or monthly basis and I would then count the PR as an added bonus.

If you could tell me then I would appreciate it.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
john5269 wrote:

I could be wrong though.

Absolutely right - thats what we paid a while back, its probably more now.

That's a lot of money for ads. wow. what abt the traffic?
are they any good?
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

As your link is on the Internet.com site where no one is forced to click on it, then the traffic must be targeted.

You also get alot of traffic from Interent.com as they are a very large and established site on the Web.

But if it's worth the money that you will pay I'm not sure as I don't know exactly how much traffic you will get from them, but I know it's quite a bit.

If anybody has any experiences then please share with us how many hits you roughly got from them a month.

Thanks in Advance.
  • fourthring
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: San Diego / Beijing

Post 3+ Months Ago

How old is your website? Google and Yahoo update their indexes at different times. You may be due for a rank increase on the next re-index. Also Google doesn't care so much about meta tags but yahoo does. So You may be getting ranked on yahoo for that reason. Google try to concentrate on your content and linking and title tags.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts