Zeal, wow

• gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Malmö, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I submitted http://www.seo-ireland.com/forum/ to Zeal earlier today.

5-6 hours later it was added. http://www.zeal.com/category/manage.jhtml?cid=10156531

Am I dreaming?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• alien
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alien

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's very fast as compared to dmoz.org, but the traffic from there is very little.
  • Daniel
  • Student
  • Student
  • Daniel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well we do try to make sure everything is fast, smooth :)
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know traffic is not a lot from Zeal, but a Zeal entry also becomes a Looksmart entry as well. Hello link popularity :)
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Idaho

Post 3+ Months Ago

Love ya Stew, and no offence.

Zeal:

Ok, This is a site I have a real problem with! Hmmm, knowing my posts are in my search results, and the fact that I sell Crosses and I am a Christian, this is hard to talk about- lets just say Zeal brings out the worst in me.

Zeal- I'll be frank.... They stink!! I said it, they.... STINK!!!

Any lousy group that makes you take some retarded test, that you have to pass in order to get in... Give me a break! To top it all off- It's about them and their agenda! LOSERS!! Keep your worthless link!

I feel better now. :shock:

hehe.....Swan
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site must be non-commercial...correct?
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Veto!

Commercial? Online sales, so I guess. I know, they are probably a good link but the way of getting it, I do not like.

They make you take a stupid test that if you fail you have to take again and again until you pass- Thats wrong!

"Of the 4 choices what would go best with the zeal philosophy"

Thats crap! They can keep their link! I no nothing, and want to know nothing about THEM.

Veto, Your a cool dude. You have helped me greatly. Yet, if you would have said, "well, check out my site and tell me what I need to change and then I will help you" or vice versa what would be the reply?

Thats a bunch of "jump dog, jump- through the hoop boy".

In helping me, You gave of yourself. To help you, I would give of myself. They are selfish and I hate that.

Maybe I am wrong, I may be. But the test was dumb and self serving. Ya, I would get something in return -BUT- just because your going to give me money doesn't mean I want to change your kids diaper, or clean up after your dog.

Boy, bad subject for me I guess- hehe :D

Swan
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now I recall the test. I totally forgot I am actually a Zealot. It took me quite a few times to past that test...now if I can just remember my username/password. Passed the test about 2 years ago...and did nothing with the privledges that came with it.

I think they make you take the test so they really know that you are genuine. I think the biggest advantage to getting your site listed there is to be in Looksmart.
  • Swan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya, I would love to get in there; but the test refers to them allot and I know nothing about them. I started to do it, then just said, sheeze I am not going to pass this, as I know nothing about the stuff they are even talking about.

It's just to long, to much time and little room for error or you have to do it again. I left.

Swan
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I disagree with a lot of your comments Swan.

Here is my take on Zeal:

Yes there is a test to take before you can start submitting sites and initially I thought like you, "this is a lot of effort to get in - is it really worth it?". Then I asked myself if this is going to deter me then why practise SEO in the first place!

So I read their supplied guidelines for about an hour and took the test, passed it first time 19/20 question correct :) And guess what, I learned about the workings of a professionally run directory in the process. A great bonus.

Up to this moment I have submitted 3 sites to Zeal and each one of them has been accepted. As sites submitted to Zeal end up in Looksmart as well this means that each of these sites have two high-quality backlinks from Zeal and Looksmart.

I think the test is a great idea because:
- you learn a lot about the workings of a directory
- it rewards you for the effort, most definitely

Bear in mind that your site must be non-commercial (to a certain degree) to be accepted into Zeal.

I recommend anyone to take the test even if you have no non-commercial sites to submit.

That my two cents!
  • siplnettech

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm..

I was a zealot there too. I submitted 100's of site to Zeal, till today I am unable to submitt a site which is commercial in nature to zeal :(

Another thing which drive me away from zeal is the policy, if you put a wrong engilish you will be removed for ever...
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with gardenstew. I tot the test was quite entertaining and I was dying for a test then :-)

after the test, i didnt do anything abt the membership too. Cuz of the non-commercial policy. Hardly deal with non-commercial sites.

zeal is good but if only they can change their policy.. it can come to some use to me!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

gardenstew -- I did exactly what you did with not only the same test results, but also the exact same take-away. It was very educational and was worth the time for the reasons you stated.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your looking to learn, as well as become an editor where you can submit commercial sites, you might want to look at Skaffe or Joeant. They both have been very educational and helped me become an editor for a few categories in DMOZ.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

speaking of dmoz, i got rejected by dmoz again for the regional category I applied for. Applied for my region /biz and economy.

small category as well.

Really dont know whats up with application. :-(
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been rejected a few times as well, but keep trying...
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i prolly will try a few more times when i am free till i am sick of dmoz application :-)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought the web was full of websites and some more relevant than a directory. Zeal and Dmoz are just 2 links (sure other directories use them but those directories get filtered out in the ranking algorithm).

So don’t waist your time. Interact with the community. Get links from other websites relevant to your site and the articles contain within.

To find these sites use a Search Engine or actually use Dmoz and Zeal! Now you too can be player on the web like me! One of my sites ranks no1 for "hypnotherapy in brighton" by getting the webmaster more active in the community like forums and link exchange.
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
sure other directories use them but those directories get filtered out in the ranking algorithm

I'd like to hear an explanation to this statement :)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

gardenstew wrote:
Quote:
sure other directories use them but those directories get filtered out in the ranking algorithm

I'd like to hear an explanation to this statement :)

Other directories use Dmoz data to power it. Some people think these count as back links to help Google rank sites. However Google disregards these as duplicated content and most will not show up in the back links update. Those that do are low PageRank value.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts