Best Ads to Display?

  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 907
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone. For those of you who don't know, I am starting a free host (IsMyWebsite). I'm trying to brainstorm some creative ways to get ads on people's sites that blend in. To get ads that webmasters would be proud to display and visitors would willingly click. Here's some ideas I have so far:

1) Random Site
Basically, it's a little box on the page that displays a link to a random website - possibly targeted to have something in common with the source page. Could be a text link or 88*31 button. There might also be a 'Randomize' button to pick another site.

2) 88*31 Cool Links
Somewhere between 4 to 6 randomly selected 88*31 image links in a box titled 'Cool Websites' or 'Cool Links' or 'More Great Sites'.

3) Text Cool Links
Like above only with text links. Not sure whether it would include descriptions.

4) Grafitti Wall
Basically, advertisers would purchase 16*16 pieces of an ad page. When a site was visited, an advertisement wall related to the site would be displayed.

Can you tell me:
1) As a site owner, which would you prefer?
2) As an advertiser, which would you prefer?
3) Any comments about these possibilities.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) As a site owner, which would you prefer?
Text & links that are easy to keep generic between advertisers & don't stick out like a sore thumb.
Images that don't stick out like a sore thumb.

2) As an advertiser, which would you prefer?
Text, links, & images that allow me to convey the message as intended.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 907
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's kind of basic. Can you relate it to my proposed ad types?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the "randomize button" is silly.
This is an era where the most popular software in the marketplace deals with being anonymous &or getting rid of advertisements, to think someone will sit there & play with advertisements is beyond anything I would consider my wildest of imaginations.

Using terms such as "cool links", "more cool sites", ect, gives me the impression that the page hosting the section is a directory.
I think sections like that are really only usefull to the people in direct controll of the website.

I continue to believe grafiti type advertising can be effective, but not in the traditional "buy-a-pixel" method, it has to take grafiti to a new level.
I think the future of such advertising will become faux "taggings" by "hackers".


In the long run, I think it's best to focus on aspects of the site other than advertising space, & leave it up to the advertiser to tell you where they want to advertise & how, then determining what it's going to cost to accommodate them.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 907
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I think the "randomize button" is silly.

This is an era where the most popular software in the marketplace deals with being anonymous &or getting rid of advertisements, to think someone will sit there & play with advertisements is beyond anything I would consider my wildest of imaginations.

Perhaps. However advertisers are trying very hard to do that with their banner ads but I end up wondering (fearing) which click is going to bring me to their site and which click is part of the game.

Quote:
Using terms such as "cool links", "more cool sites", ect, gives me the impression that the page hosting the section is a directory.
I think sections like that are really only usefull to the people in direct controll of the website.

It would just be a sidebar with graphic or text links and a title that says 'Cool Links' or 'Related Websites' or something to that effect. I know I put random affiliates areas on many pages of my site but I don't think it makes me look like a directory.

Quote:
I continue to believe grafiti type advertising can be effective, but not in the traditional "buy-a-pixel" method, it has to take grafiti to a new level.
I think the future of such advertising will become faux "taggings" by "hackers".

Tell me more...

Quote:
In the long run, I think it's best to focus on aspects of the site other than advertising space, & leave it up to the advertiser to tell you where they want to advertise & how, then determining what it's going to cost to accommodate them.

Badly done ads interfere with a webmasters freedom and the overall design of the website. Which means less site visitors, and less people visiting the ads in the end.
  • alrofaee
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alrofaee
  • Posts: 18

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) As a site owner, which would you prefer?
I prefer the random page since it doesn't take a big place on the site .
2) As an advertiser, which would you prefer?
I prefer the text links with a little discription.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
cron
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.