Best Way to Promote a New Site

• northjersey78
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I have kicked around ideas for a site for years - started a few but they always died because I never had the time or energy to devote to them.

I want to get back to those ideas and start another - it will likely by a NY area sports themed site and may very well only be a forum.

So what is a realistic goal to start and promote the site? If I use Adwords, if what sort of return would I get on say, a $500 investment?
  • grishamist
  • Student
  • Student
  • grishamist

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're in the right track bud. Joining forums is one of the basic factor to consider if you want to start and promote it online. Of course join also to sports forums and include your signature links there. Create an account on high PR social bookmarking sites especially Digg. Seek for sports bookmarkings sites.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

grishamist - He really didn't mention joining forums and promoting it via that. He said his site might only be a sports forum itself. Joining other forums and advertising in your signature is a way to advertise, but that is not the question northjersey78 had.

With regards to adwords and the $500 investment to get things running, I think that could be sufficient and you could get a good return if you do things right. When Ozzu started it was also only a forum (and pretty much still is), and I ended up investing about $200 right at the beginning. That was enough for me to get the kickstart I needed. Besides the intitial investment though, every single visitor I got from running those ads were extremely important to me. I made sure that I responded to every single post, and I tried everything I could do to keep everyone around so that the place was alive and people were helping each other out. When I first started I accounted for about 50% of the posts and that lasted for months.

So my advice to you is to also be prepared to do alot of work and to check your website often, especially in the early stages. You want to make sure everybody who posts gets a response in a timely manner. I think $500 could have a good return, I know the $200 was a great return for ozzu as I didn't have to talk to myself on the forums. You just have to make sure you work with whatever traffic you get from it, and try to create as much useful content as you can so that others want to link to you and participate.

Finally make sure the keywords you choose are exremely targeted to your site. Don't waste money on terms that won't get people to signup. Try to target people looking for your type of site, that way your initial investment lasts longer.
  • northjersey78
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
grishamist - He really didn't mention joining forums and promoting it via that. He said his site might only be a sports forum itself. Joining other forums and advertising in your signature is a way to advertise, but that is not the question northjersey78 had.

With regards to adwords and the $500 investment to get things running, I think that could be sufficient and you could get a good return if you do things right. When Ozzu started it was also only a forum (and pretty much still is), and I ended up investing about $200 right at the beginning. That was enough for me to get the kickstart I needed. Besides the intitial investment though, every single visitor I got from running those ads were extremely important to me. I made sure that I responded to every single post, and I tried everything I could do to keep everyone around so that the place was alive and people were helping each other out. When I first started I accounted for about 50% of the posts and that lasted for months.

So my advice to you is to also be prepared to do alot of work and to check your website often, especially in the early stages. You want to make sure everybody who posts gets a response in a timely manner. I think $500 could have a good return, I know the $200 was a great return for ozzu as I didn't have to talk to myself on the forums. You just have to make sure you work with whatever traffic you get from it, and try to create as much useful content as you can so that others want to link to you and participate.

Finally make sure the keywords you choose are exremely targeted to your site. Don't waste money on terms that won't get people to signup. Try to target people looking for your type of site, that way your initial investment lasts longer.

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually planning on making the site a bit more comprehensive, but I would imagine that the forum will be the bulk of the activity. That sounds like a pretty good return on only $200 - what words did you target to get things rolling?
  • saxena
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • saxena
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure whether $500 is for the whole marketing efforts or it is your monthly marketing budget.

Still, you can use :-

a) Organic SEO
b) Paid SEO ( Adsense/Adwords)
c) Forum Promotion
d) Social Bookmarking Promotion

If you are well acquainted with the SEO marketing, then you can explore article promotion in order to promote your website on search engines.

Along with these techniques you can indulge in banner/link advertisement on high ranking websites.

All these activities will bring best results.
  • N2S
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm doing it right now

couf couf* signature. lol

seriously though..here is what I do..

bookmarking
active on forums/social networks
quality content
get onto google index
have other sites link to me (for me I dont care who links. pageranks mean nothing to me. but thats just me.)
uhm.. text instead of pictures (search engines can not read images, so how will they know what kind of site you are?)

it all depends on what your site is all about though.
Obviously, an rnb musical site like mine already has an easily target-able (is that a word?) audience. They are easy because my audience are teenagers.

Teenagers = always online

Plus I know where they go online, and how they think.
PS - I'm a teenager. lol
  • skysoldier
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

When starting a new site, of course you need to make sure that you did a proper on-page optimization. And using adwords is good too but knowing how to handle it well and promoting it without spending too much is better so goodluck!
  • northjersey78
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, the site is up and running (see signature). Still need to tweak the layout and such but the company that designed it has it optimized and provided some keywords to target. I'll likely spend some time just creating some content before I go the Google Adsense route.
  • rachelbles
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • rachelbles

Post 3+ Months Ago

While reading your first post... I feel that you already know what you are doing on promoting your site, because of your signature link to this forum... do you know that this forum is a 'nofollow' forum site?

also you can try commenting on blogs... to those 'dofollow' blogs :D
  • meganisla
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • meganisla

Post 3+ Months Ago

Optimize your site, make use of meta tags and keywords. Write relevant content then promote your site through link exchange with related niche, article submissions, directory submissions, comments on blogs, social bookmarking, forums, web pages with signatures linked to your site.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Other seo trends are yahoo and wiki answers. Create a wiki profile, join social networking sites and promote your site in yahoo and google groups.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

northjersey78 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm actually planning on making the site a bit more comprehensive, but I would imagine that the forum will be the bulk of the activity. That sounds like a pretty good return on only $200 - what words did you target to get things rolling?

Well my keywords would be different than yours, but it was very targetted keywords like: webmaster forum, programming forum, web design forum, web design discussion, programming help, etc. I used keywords that I felt people would type in if they wanted to find a community of people where they could join and interact. Don't go too general or the click might not convert into users that would participate.

northjersey78 wrote:
OK, the site is up and running (see signature). Still need to tweak the layout and such but the company that designed it has it optimized and provided some keywords to target. I'll likely spend some time just creating some content before I go the Google Adsense route.

I like your new design, clean and professional looking. There are a few bugs in it I noticed, but sounds like you already realize that since you said you still need to tweak it. I also agree, get your website finalized, create some basic content, and then start the advertising for some base members. You want to have enough on your site already so that the people that come to your site will signup and stick around. If you were to do that without any content on your website they would probably just leave.
  • northjersey78
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I am working on building some content now. I have a few blog posts and still need to tweak the layout. Trying to recruit some of my friends to join the forum and get some discussion going so there is reason for visitors to stick around when they visit.

The developer I used to create the site did give me a list of targeted keyword phrases like these:

SE Query Annual Searches Occurrences (WWW) KEI
ny mets tv schedule 20 2 10
ny knicks on court 10 1 10
nfl cheerleader playoffs 5911 1610 8.48
nfl cheerleader screensaver 2157 2290 7.09
1969 topps mets 746 1060 6.88
new york rangers schedules 43 119 6.43
ny knicks fan page 51 154 6.31
ny giants rumors 33 105 6.3
new york rangers schedule 148 614 5.86
ny jets odds 19 118 5.62
nfl football wager 106 923 5.08
yahoo fantasy basketball 1494 10700 5.03
ny jets cheerleaders 38 393 5
ny mets score 19 242 4.84
ny yankees 2008 schedule 25 415 4.52
yahoo fantasy football 9713 96400 4.49
nba trade rumors 973 13600 4.35
nhl trade rumors 446 8400 4.1
new york mets schedule 396 8200 4.01
ny mets schedule 38 976 4.01
ny yankees hat 130 3100 3.97
jets cheerleaders 248 7390 3.66
ny giants schedule 86 3110 3.56
ny rangers schedule 12 544 3.51
new york islanders schedule 83 3390 3.43
new jersey devils schedule 79 3340 3.4
nfl football cheerleaders 74 3340 3.34
ny jets schedule 50 2790 3.15
nfl rumors 2576 107000 3.08
new jersey devils stanley cup 46 2880 3.04
nfl football scores 473 24300 3.02
new york knicks schedule 51 3200 3.02
ny jets football 188 10700 3

I guess this is a good place to start for Adwords?
  • seogenies123
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • seogenies123

Post 3+ Months Ago

SEO has 2 broad category On and Off page optimization...
ON PAGE OPTIMIZATION:

1 Meta Tag Optimization
2 Title Tag Optimization
3 Optimizing Meta Description
4 Link Enhancement
5 Broken Link Check
7 Alt Tag Optimization
8 Google XML Sitemap
9 Content optimization
10. Sitemap generation and submission of sitemap to Google and Yahoo

OFF PAGE OPTIMIZATION

1 Submission of subpages to top Directories
2 Manual Submissions to Search Engines
3 Manual Article Promotion to best Article directories
4 Press Release Publication to top sites during contract
5 International search engine submission
6 Forum Postings
7 Blog Promotion
8 Social Media Optimization

i think i can help you a lot
  • anudder
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • anudder

Post 3+ Months Ago

it all depends on the kind of site you have.A $500 budget for a big site is very less for advertising in adwords, However if it is just a one page site $500 could be enough to make the site profitable!
  • udunglive
  • Loc: Indonesia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think i started to create community first using facebook or another social bookmarking website, than i offer to them some games with interest give that related with your content. start to spend more time to develop your website with fresh unique content and active in facebook specially fan pages. and after 3 months you can reviews what youre doing and if you think you have to invest some fund to buy ads space.. so why not ?
  • Ace14
  • Born
  • Born
  • Ace14
  • Loc: Poland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that advertisments and popup-ads are one of the best ways to get some cash, when you've promoted your website. You can add it to google, or even exchange banners with other forums and sites, that are starting too. It always make people coming to your website. You can advertisment on youtube, myspace, facebook - I think you have chance to promote your website.
Moderator Remark: removed manual signature

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts