Coding a non-english webpage for Google Adsense

• dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi!

Does anyone know how Google Adsense determines which country-specific ads should be shown on a site?

My guess is, google may look at the meta tag for:

Code: [ Select ]
<meta name="content-language" content="de">

Are there any other tags that might suggest which country / language the page is in? How about this:

Code: [ Select ]
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

Does the above code say that content is in English?

Thanks for any suggestions/comments.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe Google Adsense will simply show ads by looking at the content on your webpage. So if your content is all in French, I am sure google will figure it out and place ads in French.
  • luchtzak
  • Student
  • Student
  • luchtzak

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I checked the ads on my website and as it is a Belgian one there is a mix between English and Dutch ads. I have strong feelings that they check the provider and it's origine because I once surfed my website in Norway and got Norwegian ads and once I surfed it in Italy resulting in Italian ads.

greetz,

Bart
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's probably right. At least, I hope. I'm currently sitting in Canada and my German site is having a little difficultly displaying ads when I log into it from here.

I actually emailed Google about the problem, though, and they responded that they've now fixed it. I've observed no change from here though, so I hope my German visitors are (I guess I'll notice a change in my Adsense statistics).
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I came across this while looking through the adsense site:

The AdSense program uses geotargeting to serve AdWords ads to your pages - ads are specific to a user's region and language, based on their IP address. This means that the ads that are served to a user from Australia may be different than those that appear for a user from Canada. Geotargeting makes the ads even more relevant for visitors to your site, and also means that you may not see all of the ads that can be served to your pages.
  • pompei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pompei

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've definately noticed geotargetting, you could email someone you know in Germany or wherever and check for you.
  • luchtzak
  • Student
  • Student
  • luchtzak

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe, but still I am quite positive that the Google Adsense checks the IP-adress for the country of origin so it can make it's dedicated ads in different languages.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts