Detect Affiliate Cookie Blocking

• undoIT
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a method to detect if the cookies used by your affiliates are being blocked? I know that Spybot adds rules to both Internet Explorer and Firefox to block cookies from affiliates such as Commission Junction and Linkshare. I'm sure there are other ad-blocking programs that proactively block cookies.

Not sure how old this article is, there is no date given, but it has a big list of ad-blocking programs and which cookies they detect:

http://www.vinnylingham.com/specialreports/cookiedetections/#results

Then, consider this: Spybot has been downloaded 105,035,491 from download.com, 8,303,608 from pcworld.com, not to mention all the other download sites out there and safer-networking themselves. Makes one wonder just how many commissions CPA bloggers are losing.

Of course you can't prevent users from scanning their computers and manually deleting cookies. But, if you can detect that the affiliate cookies are being blocked and give the visitor a prompt, it could be just one less lost commission.

Does anyone use this type of cookie detection or know how this could be implemented?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cookies are like promises from anonymous people, it's nice when they materialize but in the long run only a fool would count on them.

Seriously, even after seeing that the bane of a cookie affiliates existance is one of, if not the, most downloaded application on download sites, you still want to fool about with cookies with the hopes of one more sale ?

I think your time would be better spent developing your relationships with retailers and working with them to develop your own ways to ensure that you get paid.
  • Stellina99
  • Born
  • Born
  • Stellina99

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
Sometimes Cookie are disturbing when we are doing some important works but in some situation it is beneficial.
  • condeAzul
  • condeAzul

Post 3+ Months Ago

i kown AVG 2009 on complet scan detects cookies.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts