Does Adsense make cents?

• Whiskey-Runner
  • Whiskey-Runner
  • Loc: Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, so I'm definitely a newbie at this Internet game, but I just don't get it.
Why would you put a link on your site that drives traffic anywhere other than your own profit center. Yes, you make a few cents when someone clicks on the ad, but wouldn't it be better if you put your own ads in there where you are at least a partner in the profit. After all.....when they click it........they are gone, most of the time for good. You paid, one way or another to get them on your site, so why not split the profit when they leave?
I know that by having the Adsense code on your site, it helps get you recognized by Google, but aren't there a lot more cost efficient ways to do that?

Frank
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends what your site is about.
If you are selling something then it doesn't make sense to use adsense, Because 1) it will send your visitors to your competition and 2) doesn't say much about your product if you have to subsodise your site by advertiising your competition.

If you have a site that makes money from advertising and not from selling a product or service then adsense is ideal.

Using adsense doesn't effect how google search see your site or how frequuently the googlebot visits your site though.
  • Whiskey-Runner
  • Whiskey-Runner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appreciate your feedback. You brought up an interesting topic.
A site that is primarily an advertising site. I've looked into making adsense
sites, and looked at some of the ones out there.
Actually I'm really appalled by some of the sites I have seen.
Blatantly getting you to go to a site so you'll click through to another one.
What a waste of a person's time. If I'm looking for something on the internet
and I click on a search term in Google, I want information about what I'm searching for. Then I get a bs page someone put up so I'll click through and they make a few cents.........not much value there for me.

I exchanged emails on this subject with David Valleries a couple of weeks ago.
He told me that if he is buying clicks through Google, he checks the box that
doesn't derive traffic from adsense sites.

I haven't done it yet, but thought it might be interesting to some of the other people out there. He said that the traffic that comes from adsense sites is of poor quality. I tend to agree, though I have no proof, just my gut feeling.

I attended an internet marketing seminar in Atlanta back in May, and one of the things that this millionaire marketing expert told me was that you should think about what you are doing and go with your gut feelings. I think thats good advise.

One other question:
If you buy an ad (the ones that go on the right side of the page in a search term), and you reference your site, does that help get Google to index your site?

Frank
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whiskey-Runner wrote:
I appreciate your feedback. You brought up an interesting topic.
A site that is primarily an advertising site. I've looked into making adsense
sites, and looked at some of the ones out there.
Actually I'm really appalled by some of the sites I have seen.
Blatantly getting you to go to a site so you'll click through to another one.
What a waste of a person's time. If I'm looking for something on the internet
and I click on a search term in Google, I want information about what I'm searching for. Then I get a bs page someone put up so I'll click through and they make a few cents.........not much value there for me.

I exchanged emails on this subject with David Valleries a couple of weeks ago.
He told me that if he is buying clicks through Google, he checks the box that
doesn't derive traffic from adsense sites.

I haven't done it yet, but thought it might be interesting to some of the other people out there. He said that the traffic that comes from adsense sites is of poor quality. I tend to agree, though I have no proof, just my gut feeling.

I attended an internet marketing seminar in Atlanta back in May, and one of the things that this millionaire marketing expert told me was that you should think about what you are doing and go with your gut feelings. I think thats good advise.

One other question:
If you buy an ad (the ones that go on the right side of the page in a search term), and you reference your site, does that help get Google to index your site?

Frank

Hi Frank,

A couple of thoughts on your posts: First, regarding AdSense, it can be a useful method for generating revenue on a content site that doesn't necessarily sell a product. This can still be a quality site, and beneficial to its visitors. The types of sites you're referring to are typically labeled 'MFA', an acronym for "Made For AdSense", and these sites typically provide little or no value to their visitors, as they're typically comprised of scraped or regurgitated content and advertising alone.

To answer your question regarding the ads on Google's search pages (AdWords), I don't believe these are related to Google's crawling and indexing your site - I'm pretty sure the two processes are unrelated. The best ways to get indexed in Google are to obtain links from related, quality websites, and to include a Google Site Map with your website. You can also obtain links by submitting your site to website directories, and by submitting on-topic articles to article directories, with a link to your site in the Resource Box.

HTH,
Sam
  • Whiskey-Runner
  • Whiskey-Runner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sanjay,

I think that I will be using Adwords, but to what degree, well that depends on results.

AdSense? I think not........
Its just too hard and costly to get visitors to a webpage, just to redirect them to someone else's website. I might make arrangements with other marketers so that I could send my visitors to an affiliate link, but I'd prefer to send visitors to a sales page or a squeeze page.
Once you get a visitor to your site, the best thing to do is get their contact information so that you can develope an ongoing relationship with that person.
Of course I'm talking about list building.
The object here is to make a "friend". Not introduce them to someone else so they can be their friend.
  • Whiskey-Runner
  • Whiskey-Runner

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI Sam,

Interesting observations, and I appreciate your feedback.

I definitely agree with you on the article submission. Thats also a great way to gain some respect. Which I think is important.
The links is another great idea.
I have heard of the idea with the website directories, but haven't really looked into that (yet).
You said something about a "Google Site Map"
I'd be interested in hearing you elaborate about that subject.
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your comments, and I'm glad the information was helpful. :D Google Sitemaps is a tool that Google offers (currently in Beta) which allows you to exercise some control over how the Googlebot crawls your site. It also allows you access to information about Google's crawl of your site, including any crawl errors, which search queries return your site in the results, etc. You can get more information here if you're interested:

http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitema ... about.html

HTH,
Sam

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts