Estimate Site Traffic

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to estimate a site's traffic and I'm not the site admin. I want to value a site and validate the number I'm told they are receiving. I used Alexa and they have some data compiled and it is way off from what we are being told. Can someone give me some advice on all the sources I should use to compile this information and how to interpret the information?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might also try quantcast, but that isn't very accurate unless they have placed the snippet on their pages.

Do they use Google Analytics? If so I would request them to give you some detailed reports, or issue your account access to view their property.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, so there's not much to get that information unless they track it and provide it. I'm sure they're using google. I'll just have to see if we've requested already to see some analytics.

Some numbers are compiled for compete and quantcast. They are around 400k. Alexa was around 50k. I'm just not sure now how accurate I can say these numbers are. If they are giving me a monthly visitor estimate in the millions and these sites are saying 400k then could they still be right?
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok BWM, it looks like most of those sites are giving me estimates which are fine. I guess due to the fact that the site doesn't contain the snippet and so quantcast et al all use other sources to try to estimate the site analytics. The problem was that initially looking at compete, quantcast, and alexa each seemed to have different numbers. That was my fault cause I guess I was reading it wrong, but today the numbers are making more sense especially when there are no outliers in the data. I'm simply compiling the info now from compete, quantcast, alexa, and google ad planner. These estimates should be enough to go on and accurate enough to raise questions until they give us their own google analytics. Thank you.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

devilwood wrote:
If they are giving me a monthly visitor estimate in the millions and these sites are saying 400k then could they still be right?

They could still be right as I have seen some estimates before that are way off like that. You really need to get some concrete data and you can only get that via stats that are being directly recorded.

I would definitely raise questions until they provide you with their data which proves what they are saying is true.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've finished my report using several site estimate sites just for my boss to have. That at least gives him something to use in order to ask them to refute so I think this is going to work when the time comes. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I didn't know that there's really nothing that knows a sites traffic except the directly recorded stats. Thanks BWM.
  • Austin80ss
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Austin80ss

Post 3+ Months Ago

GA can be very tricky, can you advise some nice resources about this issue?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Austin80ss wrote:
GA can be very tricky, can you advise some nice resources about this issue?

Google Analytic is not overly difficult really but there is just soo much information that can be used. Start reading the Google help section on the topic and there should be a kick starter of information. But nothing like learning by doing.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts