Google Adsense

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

In mid June Google released a new program called Google Adsense which you can find more about here:

https://www.google.com/adsense/
http://www.google.com/adsense/overview

I have tried the program out myself now and would have to say I am pretty happy with it. One reason it does so well is because Google already knows the content of you webpages since it is a search engine and all. Anyway because of this, it can server exremely relevant ads on your web pages.

If you browse through this forum take notice of the ads and you will see they usually show ads that actually deal with what the discussion is on. One of the greatest things about Adsense is that many of the small websites, as well as large websites can benefit from it. Even the mom and pop sites will be able to server extremely targeted ads for the content they have as I believe Google has 100,000 plus advertisers in every corner of the market.

"AdSense delivers text-based Google AdWords ads that are relevant to what your readers see on your pages - and Google pays you."

"The award-winning and proprietary Google search technologies are the foundation for AdSense. We go beyond simple keyword matching to understand the context and content of web pages. Based on an algorithm that includes such factors as keyword analysis, word frequency, font size, and the overall link structure of the web, we know what a page is about, and can precisely match Google ads to each page."

You can see more articles on this new service here:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... _google_dc
http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/applied.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the info. I'm trying it out on my site and it looks very promising. :D
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you noticed that NE7 shows twice as many google ads intead of IE?

While checking my site for compatibility with Netscape 7, I noticed that I see 8 text ads in the skyscraper instead of the usual 4. The top 4 are generic, non-targeted links and the bottom 4 are targeted content links. Also the background color of the bottom four links appears darker than the top four, although the "Ads by Google" only appears once at the top of all the links. I'm not sure if I'm seeing one long skyscraper or two banners one atop the other. I see the same thing on ozzu with 4 horizontal ads instead of the usual 2.

I hope this isn't going to appear as "double serving." I've read some disturbing complaints on other boards about AdSense, although a lot of it appears to be people complaining about getting caught not complying with the terms of the program - kind of like sticking your hand in a bee's nest and complaining about getting stung.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, I just tried to view the ads using Netscape 7 and the horizontal ones are looking exactly the same to me with 2 ads. Are they still showing 4 ads for you?
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I'm using Netscape 7.02 I took a screenshot to show you what I mean. I've disabled javascript for now in case it's just a bug in this version - I don't use it for much except checking my site layout anyway.

http://freeprogrammingresources.com/test/untitled.jpg
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, weird, that is all messed up. Yeah mine looks nothing like that. It just looks normal for me. I was using Netscape version 7.1
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh well, time for an upgrade - at least the price is right :D
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Geez, I upgraded to 7.1 and it's still does the same thing on my site. I wonder it the fact that I'm still using win98 se has anything to do with it - like I need another reason to upgrade to the 21st century :roll:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alot of people I think still use Windows 98, so you would think Google Adwords would be displayed correctly on it. Maybe there is something else causing the problem. Do you know anybody else with the same version of Windows you have to see if they have the same problem?
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know some other folks who are still using win98, but I don't think any of them use netscape. I'll ask around tough.
  • debs13676
  • Born
  • Born
  • debs13676
  • Loc: new york

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use adsense on my site, have win 98 se, and have viewed it with Netscape 7.01 and its fine.

First make absolutely sure the adsense code (or parts of it) aren't duplicated in your page (oops, this happened to me and I was scratching my head over it until it dawned on me).

I had another problem though and used Mozilla's web development tools (open Mozilla, select tools from browser menu, web development, DOM inspector) to fix it when no matter what I tried I couldn't find the problem.

Hope this helps.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not just that it's happening on my pages though. On almost all the sites that I've viewed with AdSense using NE it's happening. I use a template to create my pages and the code isn't being duplicated in the template or the output.

This is just getting weirder and weirder. I just loaded up NE and went around looking at other google ads around the web and all but one site that I looked at with NE has the double ads showing. When I finally found one that didn't I looked at his code and the code from one of my pages side by side and it's exactly the same! The only difference I could see was that his banner was sandwiched with content above and below it, so perhaps the ads didn't extend for that reason.

I just did a search on Google about it and the only result was this page, so it must just be something weird with my system because someone else would have mentioned it by now. I'm just gonna keep javascript disabled with NE since it never happens with IE or Opera.
  • Minne
  • Student
  • Student
  • Minne
  • Loc: Small Sports

Post 3+ Months Ago

does it cost money
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, they pay you money. You are basically showing their ads.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

they are just not really eye catching ads, so its almost better!
  • Minne
  • Student
  • Student
  • Minne
  • Loc: Small Sports

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh, is it the google ads u have at the top?
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, that would be them...
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

*gasp* geekette posted an informational post!!! :-P

Just picking!!!
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

:cry: Picking on me just because I don't know enough to help anyone else...
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm still waiting for the day that Google Adsense comes out for languages other than english (should anyone have a better idea when google plans on doing this, please let me know!). I have a few friends who use Google Adsense and they're really getting good results from it.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I am not sure dr nick. I do know Google Adsense is very new. It started in about mid June, so I am sure there will be many changes and new additions to the program in the future. I agree though with your friends, Google Adsense works really good because the ads are so targeted and relevant to the content on the page, that it actually interests the visitor. I still remember those stupid monkey ads or those ads with a target to click from other advertisers. Those things are so untargeted and I could just see why Adsense would be so much better for everyone, from the publishers to the advertisers.
  • deadZ
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adsense is so new that it still lacks reporting features like your revenue per site, for those who run multiple sites. With more reporting, it would make finding which type of adsense banner works best and where to put it on your site.

Still a great tool
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree. I wish it would break it up per site. I have a hard time knowing what is working best because of that. Hopefully they will fix that eventually and break it up so webmaster's can analyze it better.
  • cloud^77
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just tried to visit the website, but I don't read anywhere about which countries are not allowed. Is Indonesia or China allowed to put Google Ads? My website content is mostly in English, but since I am an Indonesian and in China now, I don't know whether it is allowed or not. Could someone tell me?

Thanks in advance.
  • deanril
  • Born
  • Born
  • deanril

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great information!
  • luchtzak
  • Student
  • Student
  • luchtzak

Post 3+ Months Ago

cloud^77 wrote:
Could someone tell me?

Cloud^77,

If I was you I would submit your site to google adsense for review, a few days later you will get a positive or negative answer because I am not quite sure your site will be accepted or not :?
  • darkmonkey
  • darkmonkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

i joined it a few days ago, but when i go and check my account, even though ive had 93 page impreesions, i still havent made any earnings, its strange
  • deadZ
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

You only get paid for clicks, not for impressions.

Google adsense tries to show the most relevant ads to for your page, but it's not perfect. If most of your impressions are on your home page which contains a bit of everything, then the ads won't be relevant, so nobody will click.

In your case I would think that your visitors aren't too interested in the ads that display, so they don't click there.
  • darkmonkey
  • darkmonkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

righto, thanks, ill try to put some more words on my page so the ads are more relevent
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use it now and i like it is there more ads that works likes this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts