Google and overture

• woza
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Ilkley, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

A client of mine signed up to a company promising a top listing in Google. I was a little sceptical (as always), but thought I would give them a chance. Over 6 months has passed and no top ranking on Google has materialised.
The company in question gave the excuse it was because my client’s site was listed with the Overture pay-per-click program.

Overture say that is rubbish, I think it's rubbish and I wanted to know if anyone else had heard if this was true.

I also heard a rumour that sites advertising with Adwords were penalised in the main Google listing. Again I think this is rubbish! Any thoughts???
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
A client of mine signed up to a company promising a top listing in Google.

This was probably your first clue that they were never going to achieve top results. NO company can guarentee rankings in any search engine and those that claim they can are generally rip off's just after your money.

Quote:
The company in question gave the excuse it was because my client’s site was listed with the Overture pay-per-click program.

That is the poorest excuse I think I have ever heard. Of course it is rubbish.

Quote:
I also heard a rumour that sites advertising with Adwords were penalised in the main Google listing. Again I think this is rubbish!

If anything I have only ever heard the opposite - that Google adwords gives your site a benefit in the main listing - this has never been proven mind.

Google are not going to penalise sites that advertise with them - that is rediculous.....
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya, I doubt they'd want to deter customers :D
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah dude that is RUBBISH!!
sorry. i just wanted to say "RUBBISH"!!!
just keep in mind, as Jess said, no company can promise anything in a search engine. certainly not google. the way google does alot of their stuff is a mystery.
  • woza
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks everyone! I never believe the hype, my client did and now he is counting the cost, although technically he can get his money back as they have not achieved their goal!

Thanks again! :D
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone that guarantees any positioning cannot be trusted.
  • fourthring
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: San Diego / Beijing

Post 3+ Months Ago

just curious, what is the company's name that promised this? haha. (You can msg me privately if you want)
  • woza
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure. It's UK company I'll try and find out. Any reason why? Apart from to avoid them!
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Anyone that guarantees any positioning cannot be trusted.

a lot of companies guarrantee positioning. heh. unfortunately, they do get clients who would rather have "guarratees". too bad.

heres what Uncle GOOGLE has to say....

Quote:
No one can guarantee a #1 ranking on Google.
Beware of SEO's that claim to guarantee rankings, or that claim a "special relationship" with Google, or that claim to have a "priority submit" to Google

hope it nullifies whatever tricks these seo companies are pulling...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts