Google PPC or Overture/Yahoo PPC?

• Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Loveland, Colorado

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you had to choose which one would you bank on? We cant effectively afford to run campaignes on both so what is the % of people that use google as oppose to everything else?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I almost always start on Google Adwords because I feel I have the most control over my ads. It also usually tends to be cheaper than Overture. I would test with Google to see what keywords/ads bring in the best return and start with those keyword in Overture.

If budget is a big issue, try using some 2nd tier ppc engines like Looksmart, Findwhat, Kanoodle, Enhance, or GoClick. They won't bring in nearly as much traffic, but you tend to get a much better ROI because your paying 1/5 as much.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

And if you decide to go with Overture, there are many promos out there:

http://www.content.overture.com/d/USm/a ... PID=806314
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd lean towards adwords for many of the same reasons Vetofunk has pointed out.
  • fourthring
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: San Diego / Beijing

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess it depends on what words you're after but for most of my experience, I would say the words are cheaper on Overture vs Google. For B2C, I've seen better results on overture.

As far as ease of use, I like Google's interface a lot. It is a lot easier to set up and things are up and running within minutes. Changes you make on overture sometimes require a few days of editorial review.

I'm going to be publishing an article in about a week on tips and tricks for optimal PPC. If you are interested, pm me and I'll send you the link once it's published.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Over the past few years the general consensus has been Overture is best for B2C and Google is best for B2B.

I think this has changed due to the huge growth of popularity with Google. I have noticed that B2B still does much better with Google, but as far as B2C, they are neck and neck.
  • frank_tudor
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Plattsmouth, NE

Post 3+ Months Ago

I pick google adwords hands down.

They have a great max bid amount element, which lowers my stress. I don't have to check my keywords 4 times a day and make that scary decision on upping keyword bids. Overture sucks in this respect because you are constantly fighting to be at least 3-4 and the price goes up and up until you end up blowing your wad on 8 dollar clicks or more(ACK).

My conversion on keywords in google is also much more acceptable. Conversion meaning those clicks that actually turns in to a sale.

Also their regional and national campaign structures rock. You can focus just to Texas or California. (realize though that not all IPs of your customers are in the state that they reside. Generally 15% of your regional campaign won't see your add).

In addition, the editorial system is much more lax with adwords. For instance I have a defensive driving school. Top billing keywords include defensive driving.

In Overture, you can't use the keyword: defensive driving, unless you operate in 3 or more states.

Google really has a better understanding of their clients needs.

I am usually on the phone with Overture, more so than adwords complaining about stuff.

Just to digress a bit, Overture was very happy in informing me that I will be a gold member next month. But guess how excited I am about that?
  • eyell
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google get's my vote.

I've used both. Overture all clicks, clicks, and clicks.

Google seems to be turning that way too now.
  • longcall911
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • longcall911
  • Loc: Northern NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I had to choose one, it would be AdWords. For my B2B site, visitor quality is substantially higher than Overture. To use my site's 'price quote' service, people have to register ( which is free). Best I can determine, about half of the AdWords visitors register while maybe 10%-15% of Overture visitors do.

I normally set my AdWords bids high enough to appear on page one, but set my daily spend at about 2 clicks. My #1 keyphrase goes for $12.00 per click, thanks to some insane competitors. This approach seems to give me the best value.

I've also split my keyphrases into categories. As my site moves higher in natural listings, I lower my category bid for that phrase to save some PPC dollars yet maintain about the same visibility.

/*tom*/
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have notcied that if you free listing and your ppc listing show near each other on the page, we seem to get higher ctr and conversion rate. through that ad.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts