Where to put my marketing cash?

• icecraft
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • icecraft
  • Loc: New Hampshire, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,
I've got this website with about 78 uniques a day, and I find myself wondering how best to get the word out.

I know a lot of people are fond of search engine marketing, but I feel like if I optimize it for my visitors and get a lot of good links the search engines will catch up...instead of relying on cheap tricks that can change and leave me behind.

I've never done this before. I have a (smallish) marketing budget...but I don't want to throw it away. There are so many options....seo services, adwords (I've already got an adwords campaign running), pay-for link directories, link exchangees? (I don't want to clutter my site up...), etc etc etc. It makes my head spin.

What do you guys think I should try?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ganceann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Ganceann

Post 3+ Months Ago

First piece of advice is definately avoid paying for links and cluttering your wesbite up with links that are just there for linkin purposes.

There is no need to pay for links...

some research into other sites that discuss Ebay and approaching those site owners about helping their users benefit more by linking to your site and helping them find the hidden tresures.

Adwords - can work but it may be better looking for the types of sites that you think people will find your site useful rather than leaving it open to all sites etc - I have not been involved with adwords campaign so I do not know the exact set-up although others on here may be able to help you get an effective adwords campaign.

Searcing out some directories can be beneficial if they are no requiring reciprical links - a lot of directories do not pass on any pagerank and are discounted by search engines to some degree. Obviously you want to avoid link farms at all costs as that will just adversely affect you in the long term.

Have you approached Ebay themselves? and Ebay partners? to find out if they could include a link to you as a 'useful' feature?

If everything is all legit and ebay or partners approve you to be linked then that may be all you need as far as your efforts go in getting solid links. The results from being linked to ebay or partners could increase your traffic naturally + spawn additional backlinks in places you are unaware of and that are natural as those spawns would be finding your site useful for their surfers.
  • icecraft
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • icecraft

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Ganceann! I'll avoid paying for links and continue approaching related sites.

I'm afraid I have to avoid working directly with ebay because the name I chose infringes on their trademark and they aren't too happy about it =/

Also I don't think they like "typo squatting" so much..Otherwise a great suggestion.

Any other advice? What ad network(s) would be the best to work with? Adwords is very expensive.

Has anyone got any experience buying guarenteed traffic? There are a lot of shady sites selling 10,000 hit lots for $10-20 but it's mostly popup and expired domain traffic....not worth it for most sites but could mine possibly be an exception? I'd only need to make a very small number of sales or adsense clicks to cover the cost.

• WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

icecraft wrote:
Any other advice? What ad network(s) would be the best to work with? Adwords is very expensive.

Hi Icecraft,

You may want to take a look at Allfeeds.com - I'm an affiliate publisher, and have had good results with their programs. Their CPC is typically lower than that of the larger CPC/PPC programs, which may allow you to realize a greater ROI. You can click on the link in my signature if you'd like more information.

HTH,
Sam
  • icecraft
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • icecraft

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I'll have a look at that when I get home tonight. I'm actually thinking I might want to sell this website soon so I can free up some time to work on other projects. It's got a total revenue of about $400 since February....is anyone here interested?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts