Amateur photoshots

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Today, at my grandma's village, I decided to start acting like a photographer after reading all the posts in here. Thanks for giving me the inspirations and it turned out fairly well I think. I have a few others which is not bad. Can anyone give some critiques? I want to improve my skills really, Thanks :)
Attachments:
Myshot.jpg
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• roje0913
  • Student
  • Student
  • roje0913

Post 3+ Months Ago

if your subject is in the foreground, maybe try not to take it with such a distracting scene in the background also if you look closely you have a pointy tree coming out of the top her head almost like a dunce cap [laughs] . Minor details that are easy to change in the future, keep shooting!
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, man. :)
It was supposed to be the background image that is the main focus. Not her. She's just like another entity in that whole background picture...that's why I didn't bother to capture the facial expressions clearly. Why I do this, it's like I'm putting Human and trees together, and I have some that have no humans in it too..

Thank you, roje. :thumbsup:
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

This picture is best view in larger size. I've shrunk the size very much.
//I wonder if we can still view it larger by clicking on it?
Attachments:
Chinalook.jpg
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The picture won't be any bigger than that of the size you shrinked it too. Even if you click on it.

Please please don't take this the wrong way, but to be completly honest with you i can't say that these photos are anything more than snapshots. When taking a photo you really need to look at what you are taking, what is the main focal point? what are you hoping to show the viewer?

You also need to pay attention to the framing, what sits where in the photo? Do you want people to see the top of the trees? or do you want the grass to take up most of the shot? Things like that. If you are serious about taking good photos, it doesn't hurt to plan a little bit before doing so.

I will add a compliment here though with regards to the photo. I like how the paving ground appears from the bottom left of the photo. It helps you appreciate the total distance of the shot.

I hope to see some more photos of yours soon. Please take my comments as some constructive criticism rather than me slating what you have shown. My early day photographs were not great. It's all about learning as you go along.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi SB, How are you?

I'm so fine and I'm happy with your comments and advices. It's priceless and very helpful. I certainly hope I'd be able to take more photos, but I didn't own that camera. But still I'll be shooting whenever I can. I'll re-read your post sometime later, cuz it's useful. Getting busy now with college.

Thank you very much for reviewing, SB. :)

Hope you well,
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

When there are people in a picture, no matter where they are, human nature draws us to them. It is as much an art to not make other people focal points as it is to frame your picture correctly - that being said, practice your craft first on framing as SB said, maybe even with still life, and then work your way from there.

Otherwise they just look like candids.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, you're saying taking human photos needs higher level of skill?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't so much go as far as to say it's just skill, as everything can be learned. Equipment plays alot towards the quality of the shot you go for.

I studied Portraiture last year and it's not as easy as just simply pointing a camera at someones face. It does require skill and reasonable quality equipment.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
So, you're saying taking human photos needs higher level of skill?

I'm saying that taking photos of architecture and landscapes and other focal points in it require skill to make the human subjects invisible ;)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

True that. I'm not a good photographer... I mean, I tried to take photos before and some of them not even worth showing. The reason I'm posting here is what I learned and gathered.

Don't give up, great skill comes in time.
Don't rush yourself, rushed photos don't come out as you expect them to be :lol: Experience here

You also need to think outside the box to make great shots. I mean you really need to think what you are taking a shot of, what angle you want it to be at, the lighting of the spot etc,. etc.

This requires creativity (creativity helps you think outside the box)

Hope that this helped a bit :)
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Bogey. That's a very courageous word. Thanks, man. I just got very exhausted after finishing some coursework from school. And here I receive your sweetness. That made my night. :D
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was choosing this photo with another to post for you, professional to assess. Just assessment for better, that's all. No money involved here certainly. I chose this one because it gives me a ,kind of feeling "uncertainty". It's named nowhere..maybe, i'm going nowhere :|

Note: This one is taken together with the previous two, so i haven't done any improvement actions based on you guys comments. This doesn't mean I will not. As soon as I grab the camera again, I'll start planning more before shooting, and try taking still photos first. And i'll try thinking what exactly i'm going to show to the viewers.

//sorry if this one looks boring
Attachments:
nowhere.jpg
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's certainly a start. You don't become a professional photographer without being an amateur one ;)

Believe me, you'll grow into it better if you stay determined and enthusiastic about it. Angles help a lot and lighting as well. Once you get creative enough with enough skill in photography you can make something as disgusting as a worm look interesting.

The most professional photo I ever took is my avatar and I wouldn't say it's anywhere near professional... amateur maybe like yours...
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Please please don't take this the wrong way, but to be completly honest with you i can't say that these photos are anything more than snapshots. When taking a photo you really need to look at what you are taking, what is the main focal point? what are you hoping to show the viewer?

Granted it's still the same photoset lol
I'll be waiting for your next batch ;)
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey, lol about your avatar. It's not great your shot :P but the way you presented it makes it look better

lol, neksus. Ok. ok. I know :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts