Baltimore

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since I live so close, I should have these in my photostream somewhere, right? :wink: Comment welcome of course.

Aquarium
The National Aquarium in Baltimore, Inner Harbor. 18mm

--

USS Constellation
The last civil war era ship remaining afloat. Downtown Baltimore, Inner Harbor. 18mm

--

History: USS Constellation constructed in 1854 is a sloop-of-war, or corvette, and the second United States Navy ship to carry this famous name. According to the US Naval Registry, the original frigate was disassembeled down to the keel on 25 June 1853, in Gosport Navy Yard in Norfolk, Virginia, and she was rebuilt as a faster, heavy sloop-of-war.

The sloop was launched 26 August 1854, and commissioned 28 July 1855, with Captain Charles H. Bell in command.

From 1855 to 1858, Constellation performed largely diplomatic duties as part of the US Mediterranean Squadron. She was flagship of the US African Squadron from 1859 to 1861. In this period, she disrupted the African slave trade by interdicting three slave ships and releasing the imprisoned slaves. The last of these was captured at the outbreak of the American Civil War: Constellation overpowered the slaver brig Triton in African coastal waters. Constellation spent much of the war as a deterrent to Confederate cruisers and commerce raiders in the Mediterranean Sea.

After the Civil War, Constellation saw various duties such as carrying famine relief stores to Ireland and exhibits to the Paris, France Exposition Universelle (1878). She also spent a number of years as a receiving ship (floating naval barracks).

--

Light Street

--

Early Evening Sun
The sun was just creeping below the tops of the buildings that surround the Inner Harbor. The mood at this time of day downtown is quite relaxed and fun. I risked life and limb adventuring out onto one of the tour docks when the signs clearly say AUTHORIZED PERSONEL ONLY to get this one. The angle from the walkway just wasn't good enough. 18mm

--

Observe II
This guitar player/singer in the ampitheater area of the Harborplace was terrible. :lol:

--

Observe

--

Right Here

--

Simple Repetition
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice photos. I used to live 30 minutes away from Baltimore. Never knew you did as well. Now I am about an hour and a half away unless my wife is driving then it is like 3 :D
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good photos.

A song by Counting Crows just springs to mind when i read or hear the name Baltimore.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I risked life and limb adventuring out onto one of the tour docks when the signs clearly say AUTHORIZED PERSONEL ONLY to get this one.

Shame on you!
Great shots as always!
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent photos of the docks and the people close up / out of focus.

Nice pictures!
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's always inspiring to see your photos, Bryan. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts