Best Gallery Scripts/Software?

• Lender
  • Lender

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking to build a website where each week I'm going to add a photo gallery. What would you suggest is the best image gallery.

Also can someone point me in the direction where someone is unable to steal my photos? I've been to websites where you you try to right click and you're unable to.

Thanks in advance!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know about the photo album ... I know that Dreamweaver can create photo albums, but you have to specify manually where the folder for the album is though ... As for the no right click ... here you go ... the "silent" one does not show a message box and the other one does:
no right click (silent)
no right click (messagebox)

Please note that is still possible to steal photos by saving the complete web-page and then taking the photo ... not sure how you're going to get around that one ...
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you doing work on coding or would you prefer just to find a quick and easy to use gallery? if you like to work on the code of the site then i reckon i know what you need to know for both questions.

Let me know.
  • Lender
  • Lender

Post 3+ Months Ago

I prepackaged script/software I can upload to a site and BOOM! there it is.
  • webbe
  • webbe

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use e107 its a complete CMS so I have the ability to put other information I need up there as well. for the gallery itself I use the Corllete Lab Gallery plugin in combination with Light Box it works pretty well in my opinion.

You can see an example (my site) here

--webbe
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is no way possible to keep someone from getting your photos if you're putting them on the web.
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

True, however there are ways to make it tough... The no-right click option is completely useless, though, as all anybody has to do is disable javascript (or simply it's effects on menus) and they can right click regardless of what you do. (For example, Firefox users just need to go into Tools>Options>Content and click "Advanced" next to "Enable Javascript," then uncheck the "disable or replace context menus" box and volia, the right-click returns. I did this a while ago because I use it for tabbed browsing.)

If you really want to thwart people from stealing your images, don't put them online, or, if they must go online, place a watermark over them, or try something like they've got at Top of the Rock Photos - if you have your Javascript enabled, it used the no-right-click method, otherwise, it overlays your photos with a transparent image so that when you do right click, it is not on the photo itself. It's not fool-proof (I still got my photos from them), but it makes taking the pictures an absolute pain-in-the-rear, so that at least some people won't be bothered.
  • webbe
  • webbe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted to protect your images as well... a though I had after reading Hobs post was what about using a clear image and using css to set the image as a background. Sure all they would have to do is just open your css and find the image their looking for, but at least they wouldn't be able to just right click and save as.

you would have to have a css element for each image you wanted to add though... which is a bit of a pain. But you know what they say "no pain no game."

I may try a simple mock up of that since you got me thinking about it... I'll post what I get.

--Webbe
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

doesn't the 'print screen' button easily circumvent the most clever image protection ploys? and it's not even a pain in the rear. give it up people - if you're putting it online, people will swipe it. that's just how it is.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
doesn't the 'print screen' button easily circumvent the most clever image protection ploys? and it's not even a pain in the rear. give it up people - if you're putting it online, people will swipe it. that's just how it is.

It's always possible, but doesn't the very existence of this thread indicate that some people believe that "protecting" images on the web is do-able, and therefore stop at least some people?
I guess I'm just playing devil's advocate, but I'm pretty sure there are a huge percentage of web users who can be fooled into _thinking_ the images are protected, and in which case, in effect they are.
  • webbe
  • webbe

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah what it pretty much comes down to is no matter how hard you try to protect things there will always be a way around it... I looked into blanking the page when printscreen is pressed however printscreen is not even registered in the browser as a key so it won't work. My thoughts on the topic is you can make it difficult to steal your images but not impossible. Most of the techniques used to protect the images involve some sort of javascript. and alot of java is interpreted different by each browser.

As someone mentioned they use firefix and the disable right click doesn't stop them from right clicking. Same thing as opera. You can make your site accessible to only IE but opera allows you to identify as different browsers to circumvent that as well.

In the end there is no way to completely stop the stealing of images on your site. you can do a clear overlay, disable right clicks, disable web casching of your site and that alone will make it very difficult to steal the pictures off your site. the only way I would think the could do it is with a printscreen. and imo if they want my stuff that bad, they can have it. But not without a fight!

another note: all these protection methods can sometimes make your site very inaccesible. which if your running a professional site is not good for its image. Just look at MS the put all this effort into stopping piracy(cd-keys, wga, etc etc) but in the end if someone wants it bad enough they will find a way to get it. Nothing is impossible.

--Webbe
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

viewing on web == downloading image == temp files ;)

or if you're good enough to screenshot as celandine suggested, that'll work too.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The comforting thing is, people with talent have no need to steal from others........... and people without talent will always make sub-par products, no matter how high the quality of the images they steal. Another way - just don't give them sufficiently high resolutions.... that way the images are of no commercial use.
  • Arunijus1
  • Born
  • Born
  • Arunijus1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Artnetbook
  • jully6686
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jully6686

Post 70 days ago

no matter how high the quality of the images they steal. Another way - just don't give them sufficiently high resolutions

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts