Canon PowerShot G10?

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone have one? I've been doing less and less photography lately and my Nikon D70 is starting to be too big to lug around. So I'm considering selling the D70 + lenses for a G10 since it seems to have most of the high end features without the size of the DSLR. Anyone using a G10? If so what do you like/dislike about it?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

*gasp* I'm heart broken ;) I've actually thought about something similar to toss in my wife's purse when we go places where the DSLR is a bit much. I'm curious to hear opinions on the powershot line myself.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard the best point and shoot cameras that money can buy are Canons. Especially those in the Powershot range, however from experience i have no idea whether or not the G10 is good.

I'm going to buy a point and shoot again someday as i find them quite handy and obviously very practical rather than carrying a chunky DSLR around. It is less ideal carrying my DSLR around too because it is a Canon EOS 40D (not cheap).
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The G10s are very good cameras ... nice big lens, full manual, and it doesn't really look like a compact. If you're going to get a DSLR replacement in the compact range these are probably the best you could get, even my uni has a horde of them.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Breeze. I think its between the Canon G10 and the Panasonic LX3 which as far as I can tell is the exact same hardware as the Leica d-lux 4 for about $400 less. Anyone have any thoughts between the two?
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bought a magazine the other day that had a review on the G10 ... I'll see if I can dig it up.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't say much in the magazine, but have a look at this: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare ... 1&show=all

You can do side-by-side comparisons of just about any cameras ... on the nav bar go to Buying Guide > Side-by-side and then select the cameras you want to compare.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well its done. I sold my DSLR (still don't know what I was thinking) after about 12hrs on craigslist. Now I've ordered a G10 which should arrive by early next week.

So I'm hoping that my photography will improve given the rule of mass. (I'm assuming I'll take more photos with a little portable camera and therefor my overall images will improve...) but I'll give a better overview of my experiences when the camera arrives.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep us posted. I'd like to hear your thoughts after a few clicks. :)
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Keep us posted. I'd like to hear your thoughts after a few clicks. :)

Will do. I'm looking forward to having something I'm willing to actually carry.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know what to think of you right now graphixboy. On one hand you've got rid of a DSLR but on the other hand it was a Nikon and you've now bought a Canon.

Hmm... Image
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like Canon better than Nikon, though :D
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course. Canons are much better than Nikons.

I had to say though i've actually never tried a Nikon before, but i don't really want to because i like Canons too much to want to change. From what i hear of Nikons though i am less than amused.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nikon's got some nice lenses. I've known avid Canon fans to use converters and a Nikon glass or two, so I try not to bad-mouth them too much.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I don't know what to think of you right now graphixboy. On one hand you've got rid of a DSLR but on the other hand it was a Nikon and you've now bought a Canon.

I live to keep people guessing.

Anyway, I'm not going to start the Nikon/Canon war here other than to say that I bought it originally to be able to make use of the lenses I acquired for the Nikon F100 (film body) that I had at the time. Also when I bought the D70 it was pretty much a choice between that and a Canon 10D that suffered from horrible boot lag. Meaning you couldn't just pull out the 10D and snap a shot which doesn't really fit my shooting style.

I've never really been much for brand loyalty. I tend to go for the best option at any given time. In this case Nikon doesn't really make a comparable prosumer compact camera so the choice was between the Canon G10 and Leica D-Lux 4. I couldn't really justify the extra $350 for the Leica so the choice was pretty easy. However that said I'm sure we could find plenty of people who could argue that a Leica is far far superior to any Canon or Nikon so its really all about perspective.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The camera finally arrived on Monday and SDHC cards from amazon showed up yesterday so now I've had a few hours to play with the Canon G10.

First impressions: I'm very very impressed with this camera.

Overall the camera is really quick for both turn on and writing shots to the card (SDHC class 6). There is very little lag for either action. This was a big worry for me coming from the SLR camp but its almost a no issue.

For the most part the controls are very easy to access and similar to my expectations from an SLR or rangefinder. There are external dials for both exposure compensation and ISO ratings (buried several menus deep in my SLR) making quick image quality adjustments very simple.

Image quality is probably the best I've ever seen from a small sensor camera. Anything shot ISO 200 and less is extremely sharp with very very little noise. However, like all small sensor cameras if you shoot in low light or ISO 400+ the noise does become quite noticeable but probably no worse than it was on my 7 year old DSLR under similar conditions. The RAW images read and write very quickly despite being 30mb. Also when shooting in RAW Adobe Lightroom was able to remove almost all the color noise with its default settings. I would assume that under decent lighting conditions 8x10 prints from this camera would rival most DSLRs.

The camera has a hotshoe mount that readily accepted the trigger for the studio strobes we have at the office. Also since the camera has a great macro focus range (1cm) the hotshoe and tripod mount make this an extremely capable studio/product camera.

The only real disappointments I have coming from a DSLR is that the camera's size (while nice and portable) makes it difficult to grip without covering the focus assist lamp with a finger. I miss the solid SLR body grips for different shooting conditions. I'm also struggling to get used to the manual focus being adjusted with the command dial instead of a lens mounted ring.

I'll post some images tonight when I get a chance. But I think its safe to say that I'm going to like and hopefully use this camera quite a bit.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the review. Sounds like it's a good investment for a secondary carry that I wanted for occassions where the full body just doesn't cut it.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok its been a while and I've neglected to post images from the Canon G10 so here they are. All of these are completely unmodified. The process was import to Adobe Lightroom 2 (the only thing I have that will open the new Canon Raw Files and allowing only the default sharpening) and export to jpegs. This entire set was shot hand held and allowed the camera to set white balance and focus.

Suffice it to say this is probably the best image quality I've ever seen from a small sensor camera and after a month or so of use I've yet to find anything that really bugs me with the G10.
Attachments:
water.jpg
Attachments:
water_full.jpg

100% This shows the amount of low light noise.

Attachments:
kayak.jpg
Attachments:
kayak_full.jpg

100% Showing the color and auto focus ability even on distant subjects.

Attachments:
building.jpg

In camera white balance settings.

All in all I have to say I'm super impressed. Especially for a camera that I can carry around with me...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, actually agree with you here. Quality is good here, and considering it's a point ant shoot you really cannot ask for much more.

(doesn't beat a SLR though)
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
(doesn't beat a SLR though)
That's very true. Although I have an art school minor in photography that I learned on an old film SLR and I have to say the only thing I really miss from an SLR, digital or otherwise, (other than the sensor size) is the interchangeable lenses. However, when I'm honest with myself, I never really saw much need for my other lenses. I'm one of those people who always shot with a fixed 35mm and moved around to get the shots so even the lack of other optics isn't really hurting me. The camera actually has all the other features (full manual control, exposure compensation, DOF preview, hot shoe, remote trigger, etc) that I've come to expect in a good photography tool. Combine that with its portability and I'm very happy with my purchase.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would you believe a month after my last post in this thread i am actually just about to do the same as you Graphixboy.

As soon as i figure out a good valuation, i am going to put my Canon EOS 40D up for sale. Thinking i could get around £600 ($968USD) for it with the lens. By selling that i would use the money i got from it to purchase the G10 which having looked at online reviews seems to be just as good as the EOS 40D only i don't have the use of changing lens. Also more practical which is cool when you consider i don't use my DSLR the way i should anyway when i am out with it.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I just got back from Australia and I think we averaged 150+ shots a day on the G10. Gotta say I'm still really happy with the camera. The only issue I had is that it would be nice to have the ability to use filters. Bright sun on water gave the camera some exposure issues, but other than that it was able to do just about everything I expected and it was really nice to travel with that smaller size.

I was a bit freaked out when selling my SLR but after a few months I'm not really missing it all that much now. Before you do make the decision SB I would recommend going to your local camera store and playing with the G10 and the Panasonic LX3. See which one fits your shooting style better.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sold my 40D the other day, not made the purchase on camera yet. Heard that aparently the lens scratches when it turns off sometimes, a common fault with the G10 aparently so may look at an alternative.

Got to look at the cest too, i wonder if there is a good camera that can do most of the stuff the G10 does that is maybe a bit cheaper. I love taking photographs and def want a camera but at the moment not overly fussed if it does everything a DSLR did.

If i do miss my DSLR though then i can still shoot on my Canon SLR film camera which is always fun.
  • gary12
  • Born
  • Born
  • gary12
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Canons are much better than Nikons... you should go for a Canon camera..
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

gary12 wrote:

Typically when you throw an opinion out there like this, it's nice to include some reasoning behind your thoughts.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
gary12 wrote:

Typically when you throw an opinion out there like this, it's nice to include some reasoning behind your thoughts.

To be fair, that statement needs no reasoning. Canons are better...end of.

But in the interest of topic quality i do agree there should be some reasoning.

6 months after leaving my last post in this thread i am still without a camera. I very nearly bought a Canon IXUS 100IS Ultra Slim Metal body camera last week. I might hold on for a bit as i see the price listed has not changed in about 4 months so it could go down soon, if so then i will buy that camera as it has everything i am looking for.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually Nikons are vastly superior. Sexier and smarter too. :P

...and Diet Pepsi is better than Diet Coke. Chevy is better than Ford. South is better than North. East is better than West. Up is better than down. I could go on...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Left is better than right?

I think until the day comes where i try a Nikon i will always believe Canons are better. It would really mean Canon would have to mess up seriously bad if i am to consider their main rival.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Canons are better...end of.

I love my Canon, but I have a converter to fit Nikon glass to Canon EOS. They have some lenses with superb quality in their own right for portions of the price that Canon demands. Similar range and aperture cover as well. Durability either, because they have all stood up equally well and there's not a lot of difference in mechanism smoothness/functionality or in the materials.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 29 posts