Canon Rebel XTi ?

• saidev
  • saidev
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know too much about professional photography but my friend got a Canon XT this summer and I compare the pictures we've taken. I really see some major difference between my 4mp Nikon oint and shoot than his XT. For a point and shoot guy is XTi overkill and is the XTi best in it's class around that price? Oh, where do they have the best deal? Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Riptcage
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Riptcage

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only difference between the XT and the XTI is a 2 megapixel difference. the XT has 8, and the XTI has 10. Maybe a few different features...and a little faster fps.. and shutter speed...but thats about it. If you plan on printing something bigger then a 24x36...get the XTI. If not...stick with the XT cuz your not gonna see any difference. It's pretty much the same Camera =]
  • saidev
  • saidev
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got the xti and love it. After printing some pictures, it's no comparison. It's worth every penny IMO.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I shoot with the XT and the original Rebel and love both of them. Riptcage is right if you dont plan on printing really big prints then the Rebel would be just fine for you and alot of the first time photos that I have posted on this site was witht he digital rebel. The more current ones are with the rebel XT and I am looking to get a 30D within the next few weeks. I run a website for my high school athletics program and you can see some of my work on there as far s the up dates go at http://www.goirmo.com

MTG
  • walterkilis
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • walterkilis

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh man if only I could afford such a great camera. I am using a 3.2MP camera and it's working out fine so far.
  • ClarkProduction
  • Born
  • Born
  • ClarkProduction

Post 3+ Months Ago

saidev wrote:
I don't know too much about professional photography but my friend got a Canon XT this summer and I compare the pictures we've taken. I really see some major difference between my 4mp Nikon oint and shoot than his XT. For a point and shoot guy is XTi overkill and is the XTi best in it's class around that price? Oh, where do they have the best deal? Thanks.

The difference in the pictures you will get is all in the photographer, the lenses, and the flash. A Rebel XT with the lens it comes with 18-55mm in the hands of an amateur photographer will get the same results as a point-and-shoot. However, it is when the photographer starts taking advantage of things like the aperature setting, shutter speed, +- f-stops, flash compensation, etc. that will really make the difference.

Also, a good flash (like the Canon 580EX or 430EX) can make a world of difference if used properly (bounce the light off the ceiling, use a diffuser, etc).

And lastly, the lens has a lot to do with it. The basic lens the camera comes with can get good, unique, pictures; however, a better lens would most definitely result in better pictures.

Now, if you are a point-and-shoot kinda guy and don't want to mess with the aperature, the shutter speed, flash compensation, exposure compensation - and you don't want to get a nice flash or a better lens - then the main difference you will see is simply in the startup time (around .2 seconds, I believe), perhaps the auto-focus (focuses quickly), and the shutter speed - it can take pictures very quickly.

But, there are many cameras out there that can do this. The XT or XTi would probably be overkill for a point-and-shoot type. The Rebel XT can produce images at the same quality of a Canon 20d. Unless you intend on using all of the features of the camera, then I strongly suggest saving some cash and getting a 6-8MP point-and-shoot.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Spencer Clark
Clark Production Photography
http://www.clarkproduction.com
  • cinema88
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • cinema88

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,
i think too, that Canon XT or XTI are really overkill for pointing and shooting.
but if you really want to make photos with super quality, its good choose.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts