EOS400 Digital Download problems - PLEASE HELP!

• matt@aylist
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: The Happy Place | UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've just tried to download my holiday photo's into CS2 from a Canon EOS400. The problem I have is that they have transferred as huge images, the size of the file is about 3888x2592! Mmmm I'm really not sure what to do with these I was hoping to put them online but resizing these things makes them pretty poor quality. Have I done something wrong somewhere? does anyone know anything that could help me?
:?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is nothing wrong. When you upload them into CS2 i suggest you change the file size to nothing smaller than 600px wide. Of course you will lose the quality because you are shrinking the image, but it's not going to change how it looks in any way shape or form.

Make sure you are saving the photographs as JPG isntead of GIF.

The EOS 400d (i think) is 10MP camera, what this means is you are getting 10million pixel shots. Therefore the quality is generally alot better than if you had a 5MP camera. All the photographs are stored on the camera CF card in that size, you would need to reduce the file to around 1000 pixels wide (being the biggest i'd suggest online) and no smaller than 600 wide.

When you have reduced the physical size of the photographs make sure you go and "save for web" as opposed to "save as". This should then make the photograph smaller in size and better for uploading onto your website. I'd suggest no more than 300kbs in size for a website, maybe 500kbs. You have to remember however that not everyone has Broadband.

Could i also suggest, when you are saving your photographs as the smaller size, don't overwrite what you have already taken. If you do that, you'll regret it when you decide maybe one day to print the photograph of. Save it as a different file somewhere else so you don't overwrite the original.

I hope this info helps.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also another way to keep quality good while shrinking images ... Is not to shrink it all the way at once ... For some reason it works better if you shrink it 200 pixels at a time for example ... Or reducing the DPI for that image will also make a difference ... If I'm correct the photo would be taken at 300dpi, and then in photoshop convert it to 72 dpi, then physical size will be much less and not too much quality will be lost ... not as much as shrinking.
  • matt@aylist
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: The Happy Place | UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your tips guys, very helpful and very much appreciated.
  • fulload
  • Loc: Isle of Wight, Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Matt...

SB & Righteous have already steered you in the right direction. I'll just add, NEVER over-right the ORIGINAL file.

IF you're working in CS2 or some similar program, I always recommend that one downloads all of the images off of the camera into a folder, then exports/copies those images into another into another folder which will now become the working folder. This always leaves you with an archived copy of the original images should you ever need them for reference or print work. Yes, it does take memory to save all of those files, but remember that these digital files are more fragile than negatives ever were, and once lost, a whole generation may in the future, be left without images of "today." It's really a good idea to print to DVD, as an additional back-up... Of course ten years from now DVD's will probably be obsolete, too... Sometimes I wonder if film might not still be the best way....

Just my nickles worth...
bonne chance...
I remain,
g

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts