my First black and white

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26214166@N05/2661311428/

Some advice and comments are greatly remembered..
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look I know it can be the most boring snapshot.

Perhaps, some constructive feedback? There was some story behind the scene...
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

For me the image is nice but I think it could be better. When I look at it, my attention is immediately brought to the background objects. There's a lot going on in the background in an image where you want to focus on the 1 main object of the foreground. Try to isolate the vehicle more or take it from a closer angle?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, Merlyn thanks for your comment...I need some time to sink in your idea.

If I isolate, then there's nothing in the bg, is that what you mean?
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Sydney, Ozland.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Merlyn, my attention was instantly drawn to the background objects. Perhaps use photoshop to make the car stand out a little, and make the background seem further away, or less, errr, distracting.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried adjusting for about 15 minutes with camera to create blur BG look and to not much result; before taking this picture.

I don't really 'understand' photoshop, I will look into that thanks Divinyl...

:)
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
Look I know it can be the most boring snapshot.

Perhaps, some constructive feedback? There was some story behind the scene...

George, there are a few posts of yours that seem to be a bit aggressive towards people that i've read in the last half hour. I'm concerned that you are expecting more from the site that you've known well for a good few months now. Around the summer time people tend to spend a bit less time on the computer and more time outdoors, especially when the weather is nice. If you leave posts like these people might read them in the way i just did and feel a bit disappointed and choose not to reply to the topic. Please be a bit more patient. I would have replied sooner, only i've been away the last couple of days.

I will reply later on again with my thoughts on the image. I'm a bit tied up on time though at this precise moment.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, SB. Sorry...
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

To change the image you must change what you see.

The easiest way to do this is to get away from taking shots from eye level :)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well ... even though I am no professional photographer (or even something close to that) I will comment on the following:
a) The car is too much in the middle of the picture for me ... I would've liked to see a little more to the side of it ... (to the road I think)
b) There is a difference between "deer" and "dear" ... If you meant it to be "deer" then I just don't get it ...
c) The background is a bit too in focus ... Maybe a bit more DOF (Depth Of Field) is necessary here.
d) I think it could've been cooler from another angle (as neksus mentioned) ... maybe if you just give one or two steps to the left and then try again ... ?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The focal point is not very clear due to the background being too big a part of the photo. As suggested before try out some Depth of Field there. Alot of what has been said is very much what i was going to type to you before.

You must always pay attention to what is in your view when taking the photo. Even if that means standing with your eye looking through for 5 minutes. Think about what everything means, think about how interesting the shot is with the car as it is.

When taking B&W shots too it's important to think about the light and what it is doing in the photo. Think about what you can do to get a good set of shades of grey. There aren't too many shades in this photo which to me makes the B&W pointless.

As a matter of interest, did you shoot the camera in B&W or did you adjust it to Black and White after it was shot? If you set the camera to shoot in Black and White and it's not in RAW then i'd strongly suggest against doing that.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

R_T: Deer and I mean deer. That's the name of the car in English. A mountain deer, in our language it's called 'Kancil'.

SB, not I didn't change it after I took that photo, I took that in b&w mode. I thought you can view it in my more properties link?

Previous post, Mark suggested I should take more of the background image so we can view the entire pictures, like; houses, etc.

and I have tried manual focus and seems quite hard, I have to like use half-manual and half-auto where I set to Aperture mode while the lense I adjusted manual.

I'm confused so are many of you, at them moment I won't go into details what exactly I used but I will do when I get a better handle of it.

In fact I saw an art and photography exhibition lately in my college and there was this artist by the name of +++++ I forgot I think some Italian or Spanish, He took something like this; which of course not same or exactly same as mine, I mean when you see the pictures, it doesn't have logical meanings or much sharpness, it's Art and it doesn't really car eabout angles...If I get some links online I'll try to link it here to show what I mean.

But thanks, to all I think of course I'm just a newbie I will take every of your advice and attune to my understanding to produce something good...no, Great..

Thanks.

:)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is actually one thing that you could have done (and should do) that would make the background less "distracting" with no additional messing with camera settings.

Learn and follow the "rule of thirds"

Read these instructions and study the example.
http://digital-photography-school.com/b ... of-thirds/

Search terms for additional reading: photography rule of thirds

You see your car is too far to the bottom third of the picture. As a result the eye is drawn to the background which dominates the focal point. Even keeping the camera angle roughly the same, positioning the front of the car into the center where it should be makes it the focal point instead of the background.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much for the link, Mark. That's invaluable information there.

It's in my browser now I will have it on the next I come back online to read again.

:thumbsup:
  • mantonino
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mantonino
  • Loc: Syracuse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Add contrast. A LOT of contrast. Like +20. Image/Adjustment/Brightness & Contrast. Contrast +15, +20 maybe?

I like the idea of varying the angle and removing distracting background too.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts