My first ever digital camera arrived today :D

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to be big into photography, But have only ever used a regular film camera.
I decided to get a digital camera and went with the Kodak Z7590 :D .
What dya think of it?
I have only had it a couple of hours so i havn't had time to play around with it.

I'm going into the city tomorow to take some photos, and i look forward to entering some of the photography competitions on the forum.

I had a look through some of the posts in here (never been here before) and the forum has some very good photographers.

Are the principles of digital photography the same as regular photography?
The digital cameras i looked at seem to be a lot more forgiving than the old style film ones, so hopefuly that should help me take some decent photos.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like a pretty good camera meman!

I believe most of the photography in this forum tends to be point and click style and some photomanipulation which is pretty smart.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont have a point n shoot camera, but that is not to say they are bad at all. Iam thinking about getting one just for ease of carring it in my pocket. i use a Canon rebel and i have loved it ever so much more than my dad's old canon AE1. i have found out that the digital is mor forgiving by the shear number of pictures that i take and not have to print every single picture to find out if it was a good shot. I have posted many pictures on this sight and some recent ones were of the bomber 25C really awesome pics there.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah thats a good point about the amount of photos digital cameras allow you to take, I like being able to take photos without having to pay evey time i press the button. It's liberating after years of using film cameras lol.

These are some of the pics i took earlier, I done the the London tourist thing :D
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow great pics you have taken today. i just posted a few new ones for the competition even tho it is closed. I thought i would share them. i liked the birds flying image 54 into you that is a great pic there and then the one that follows it is good too image 64 of parliment. the only thing i dont like with the point and shot cameras is that you are limited on the focal depth and pictures like this are almost impossible that I am aware of.

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a nice photo. Took me a while to figure out what it was.

There is a walled garden in my local park, it's closed during the winter, But in the summer it asolutely full of bright flowers and immaculate lawns. Im look forward to getting in there when the weather warns up come out. It has a koi pond in the middle.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow meman! that first picture is amazing (made me want to go to London), as is the one of the bird flapping its wings (and the rest are really good). All that in your first day of having that camera? wow.

Great job meman, i really look forward to seeing what else you have taken.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks SB.

I had a good time going round yesterday, I think i have caught the photography bug lol. Just installed a gallery script on a subdomain.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice pics meman! I always enjoy pictures from other areas. England is one of the few countries that I want to visit, but have yet to do so. Thanks for quick tour around the town! :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congrats meman :)
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

now my laptop died and my linux box doesn't recognise the SD card in my camera :(
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

bummer... that's why I shoot CompactFlash (and why I'll only - presently - buy a camera that stores to CF cards. They're supported by everything (USB readers, built-in readers, PCMCIA readers for laptops), but I also have a 40Gig DigiBin; Which is basically a 40Gig hard drive, an text LCD panel, a battery and a CompactFlash reader. It hooks up to my PC when I get home via USB2 and just acts like any other 40Gig external hard drive (except it's a lil slow, cuz it's a 4200RPM laptop drive - although that's plenty for transferring cards out in the field).

There are similar devices that also support SD cards. That may be something you could look into. At least that way, you can backup your card, empty it, and keep shooting, even though you can't get it up on your PC yet. When your PC's back up and running, hook up the USB, and just use it as a regular external hard drive. :)
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ill have to look into that, I dont fancy having to buy a new computer at the moment lol, So a stand by would be ideal.

The fan on the laptop is jamming i think (makes a grinding noise), So i might be able use the laptop for a short while, transfer the pictures then quickly scp them over to the linux box.

One thing i was thinking of is maybe buying a 2GIG SD card, and just leave all photos on the card for a while..

It sucks that it decided to break now, just as i was starting to take the camera everywhere i went.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, that may work. The camera's only 5MP right? So you'd probably be able to get at least... I don't know, maybe 300-400 shots in JPG mode at highest quality.

That would probably do you on a good day out. Personally what I'd do, is get two 1Gig cards. Once your first card's full, switch it out for the second card, and put the first one safe in your pocket or something. That way, if you lose your camera or it gets stolen later, it's not a total loss.

I may be sounding a lil dramatic, but it happens FAR more frequently than you'd realize, especially with one that looks new n' shiny with all kinds of buttons on it. :)
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh i cant wait got a new body today and have a new lens on the way i have a 10-20mm for some new shots that I want to take of the sports at school. Nice to see you again AXE, you have any new pictures of the spiders that you took last year oir not?

i cant wait to see what my new camera and lens produce next week.

mtg
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope, I don't have those any more. What are you getting mtg?
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am getting a canon 10-20mm lens and i got a rebel xt tonight and have gotten a great flash 430 ex flash a few months ago and a whole lot of great pictures since i last talk to you axe.

mtg
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, the Rebel XT's not a bad camera for what it costs. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I'm just curious to see how long it'll take you to shoot fully manual. Setting your own aperture, exposure, ISO, etc.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am already doing some of that with my rebel now not that good yet but im taking action shots of basketball games of my students. It seems to help me make them behave a lot better than before. Ill post a few good ones. but I am having a problem with the camera pixelating with different color pixels when i am in RAW mode. got any ideas?

mtg
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

axe

Here is the problem that I am having with the RAW pictures.

matt[/img]
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your ISO is too high and your exposure's not long enough.

That's not a problem with RAW issues, it just looks like a technique problem.

What ISO is your camera set to shoot at?
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont know right now but let me check to see what it is set at in the picture. the camera does not let me see the setting after i have taken that picture out of the camera. that i am awear of. can i find out using phtoshop?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts