• Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

In a funny way that's not a bad shot. I like how you have the reflection in the picture frame (i guess that's what it is). Had to taken that on more of an acute angle and still got the reflection then it would have been better.

Only other critique i could pass is that the framing isn't quite right. There is too much space around her head.

What does the title say? i can't read that writing.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Craig, I love it when you comment. I dun feel alone when you say something about it. And what's more you're pro.

I'm flattered no matter what you said.

The title is japanese characters, and so is the description.

Title: Sigh of relief

Description: I'm relief now, i will remember this day of my life

I did the conversion using a website, can't remember the name of it.

Wasn't pro translation though, but i just want to make it look like artistic. Now i realize i can't read anything in my other computer, Which it only shows ??????????????????

In my other comp, I can see the characters. Why Japanese, when I'm chinese? I don't know. I think their design is good, and inventive.Maybe.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Only other critique i could pass is that the framing isn't quite right. There is too much space around her head.

Space??

I thought it was just nice, cuz if you look carefully, the space has some background in it?

The photo frames lining up, ascending the wall....and depth of field too?

SB wrote:
Had to taken that on more of an acute angle and still got the reflection then it would have been better.

Acute angle, sorry I dun get what you mean here, Craig?
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

not bad try for your first protriate shot but the way you have your model will not work for everyone. the reason why i say this is that this person is lucky that her nose is very small. the normal rule her is to tilt her head so that the nose does not breat the cheak so that you also see the other eye. now looking at the picture her cheak has a hot spot on it and you could help that out by diffusing the light through a refector. I do love the reflection in the glass. if you look close that you can see the start of her left eye and that is distracting in the picture. if your gonna break the rule then just tilt the head of your model just a bit more or you move to cover that other eye.

Great Job!!! for your first try I wish mine where that good at first.

mtg
  • mantonino
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mantonino
  • Loc: Syracuse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice photo - the midtones are a bit too dark. As far as composition, I like it. I am sure the model loves this picture. :)
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Mt and man.
I was looking at it everytime I logged on Flickr. Now I guess I should wipe my butt and get more of portrait shots because that's pretty much I have. No shooting, no improvement :)

Thank you, look forward to your feedback and advice in the future

:)
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

For your first try you did really good! I have been trying for a few times and I still have a hard time getting it to look right that is one reason why i like shooting food and nature lol

see this was my first time
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is that photo edited at all mtg131g .. ?
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

just turned black nd white.... his eyes are contacts that he just got that day.

mtg
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doesn't he look like The Rock?
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah he kinda does but he is not that famous....

mtg
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd love to get contact lenses like that. They are a bit pricey though.

I will refrain from passing on judgement on your portrait mtg as you haven't specifically asked for any.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh go ahead if you wish... Like i said that was my first atempt to ttry portraits. and I have learned alot since then and I see huge problems with that portrait shot...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

I think that was the real reason i chose not to comment. It's nothing special if i was to be honest. I don't necessarily agree on the models posture, nor do i agree on the open shirt as it makes the model appear, shall we say...fatter than he probably is. The idea behind taking a good portrait is to make the model appear as good as possible.

You've also got the thing around his neck covering the tattoo which i'm guessing is the main reason behind the shirt being unbuttoned. A shot like this would be better with the model looking away from the camera rather than looking towards the camera.

That's just a few things. It's not bad, but at least you are aware it's nothing special too. For a first portrait it's alright.

My first portrait shot was done on film, so i don't actually have a shot on digital or a developed print anywhere, it's on a negative in one of my folders, so i can't really show you it all. Even now though i'm no pro at doing portraits.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

This shot was done way before I had taken any portait classes and before i really got into reading for model's protraits and this was kinda done on the spir of the monment and your right it is not really flattering at all to me anymore. i have not had that much practice with models i am into nature and food right now that pays the bills.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts