freeware to extract images from avi movie file?

• Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking for freeware to extract images from an AVI movie file. Know of any? I would like to extract all the images from the AVI file, all at once, not pick and choose.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why? if they are not your images then the chances are you'll not be able to use them legally.
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Why? if they are not your images then the chances are you'll not be able to use them legally.
I know, but they are my images.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got Windows Movie Maker but I'm not sure if it can do what you request.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Matthew wrote:
SB wrote:

If they are your images then why do you need a program to collect images from a .avi file? Surely you'd have them somewhere on your computer or you could easily get them from somewhere.
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Matthew wrote:
SB wrote:

If they are your images then why do you need a program to collect images from a .avi file? Surely you'd have them somewhere on your computer or you could easily get them from somewhere.

I want to grab still shots out of a movie I recorded.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see. That would make sense. In which case, is there anything wrong with doing just a screen print?

CTRL+Print Screen (or PrtSc on laptops) would do the trick easily.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having said that, i really should have said...

Alt+Print Screen button as this would print what you have on your vid rather than the whole screen. You would then go to paint or photoshop and do a paste and then save the file to whatever you like. It may copy more than the image, if this is the case then just do a crop (takes just a few seconds).
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could do that... but I want to grab EVERY frame, to grab specific ones that are hard to pause on in Windows Media Player. Too bad it didn't have a frame advance control in it!
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any ideas?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, get Adobe AfterEffects ... with that there is an option to save a specified time-length as frames ... So you'll just specify the length of the whole movie as the specified time-length ... I'm sure you can get a 30-day Trial Version from the Adobe website
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am looking for something that is free forever, not just a 30 day trial. But, thanks.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, and while your looking you get your job done with a 30 day trial. (Or part of a job done).
  • peers
  • peers

Post 3+ Months Ago

SC Free Video Decompiler 6.0.0.0, its a free software for extracting video to images
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

peers wrote:
SC Free Video Decompiler 6.0.0.0, its a free software for extracting video to images

Thanks, I'll check it out and post back...
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SC Free Video Decompiler wants to install Pando ( http://www.pando.com/ ) and disables "some functions" if you choose not to install it:

Quote:
---------------------------
Setup
Some functions in the program will be DISABLED until Pando is installed.

You can easily uninstall Pando at any time using the Add or Remove Programs function.

Are you sure you do not want to install Pando? If you click "OK" SC Video Decompiler will install without Pando. Click "CANCEL" to go back to the previous setup window
OK Cancel
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

And, of course, the feature I want (extract all frames) is the one that is not enable! :(

Quote:
SC Video Decompiler
To use this option you need to Re-Install Pando(The programe will be terminated). To install Pando click Yes below.
Yes No
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.pando.com/, its free. I guess SC Video Decompiler is partners with Pando or good friends :scratchhead:
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I installed it with Pando and SC Video Decompiler worked great... as long as the install of Pando gives me no problems (I'm not going to start using it) then all's well!
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just emailed about: AVCutty:
http://www.avcutty.de/

"A perfect solution for extracting images from avi, for free, is "AVCutty." It is available at http://www.avcutty.de. While it is free, the author is not shy about asking for donations. It is also documented in German although there is link to Google Translate for an english help file. Works great for exporting frames to BMP (only supported format). My 500mb .avi exported to over 5,000 .bmp's totalling 14gb."

I haven't tried it yet, but I thought I would post it here. Most people searching for this solution find this thread #1 in Google. If any of you try it, please let us know how it works.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

why not just use VLC player or something most good media players take screen shots
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
why not just use VLC player or something most good media players take screen shots

He is talking about taking like 500 stills from a 30 second movie (or to that effect). He wants to take all the stills from a movie and look for a good one. (Since it's hard to get a good one when everything is moving).
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Zealous wrote:

He is talking about taking like 500 stills from a 30 second movie (or to that effect). He wants to take all the stills from a movie and look for a good one. (Since it's hard to get a good one when everything is moving).

Go frame by frame, like really if your going to use the freeware way mite as well use something that works, took me 2 google searches and 3-4 sites to find this.

Automatic screen cap tutorial for windows using CMD and VLC
http://www,idosolu,com/tutorials/create ... -vlc.shtml
hope this does the trick
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
Bogey wrote:
Zealous wrote:

Go frame by frame, like really if your going to use the freeware way mite as well use something that works, took me 2 google searches and 3-4 sites to find this.

hope this does the trick

Please, stop with those commas... if you want to post a link, post it normally.

Unless that is the only way you can post link with the current board-wide restriction that is in place about the links and signatures...
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

hope this does the trick

Quote:
Please, stop with those commas... if you want to post a link, post it normally.

Unless that is the only way you can post link with the current board-wide restriction that is in place about the links and signatures...

but the links still don't work so you open it up and change 2 bits and it works does the same job really but isn't this off topic :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts