Give me some criticism please...

• lady_evolver
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to have your honest opinions and advice on these pictures I took of my daughter :)

• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the treatment you gave the first one. Good contrast, nice tone. The second looks like a snapshot, IMO.

The angle on her chin and eyes is much better in the first shot, however I think you cropped her forehead too tightly. I think it would have been better if her hairline continued around.

I would suggest you try some natural lighting. In both shots, the built-in-flash doesn't give a very dynamic light.

Your daughter is very pretty. :thumbsup:
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was always told during my Photography studies that if you can avoid using the flash the do so. What it will probably mean though is if you want to take photos in a darker light then have the camera on a longer exposure and sit it on a secure work top or ideally a tri-pod.

Regarding the photos? well i've no doubts that the first photo is the best, although initially i was a bit uncertain about the exposure. Maybe it's too under exposed...i'm not quite sure. In saying this though, you still see her facial features quite well so it still works.

Like digitalMedia mentioned, if you could reshoot the first photograph again then be sure to have more of the hairline. Because it's Black and White you can't really see where the hair is to the left of the photo, so in a way it looks like your daughter is half bald which i'm pretty confident she isn't.

Your second photo is more of a snap shot (again as digitalMedia mentioned), i think this is because of the angle taken and the camera flash. Like the first photo, you seem to crop the top of the head off. When taking the photo, just make sure the top of the head is showing and show nothing much above the actual head.

Hopefully you can reshoot and let us see how they go. All the best.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the first one much better. It's artistic, where the second looks like any old photo.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I like the first one much better. It's artistic, where the second looks like any old photo.

True, the second one is plainly plain :D

For constructive criticism...
Well, much has being said and it would be kind of hard to add to it... I have to agree with SB. She looks somewhat bald. My first initial thought that was rejected to the false-side as I know she isn't bald.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am saying the second one is better. The first should be better if her hair combed down abit.

That said, imo, the second one still looks nicer. Maybe I've been trying out some b&w photos with photoshop lately- my own pictures and am feeling a bit blurry now. I think there's an art in taking b&w pictures and not easy. You definitely will improve as you take more and learn from it.
  • savantcreative
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • savantcreative
  • Loc: Long Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

lady_evolver wrote:
I would like to have your honest opinions and advice on these pictures I took of my daughter :)

The first one is the stronger of the two but I would not shoot this subject straight on. If she turned her dominant eye side towards you, her face will look prettier.

The second shot is bottom lit which does not give a glamorous look.
  • The_Juggernaut
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

savantcreative wrote:
lady_evolver wrote:

The first one is the stronger of the two but I would not shoot this subject straight on. If she turned her dominant eye side towards you, her face will look prettier.

The second shot is bottom lit which does not give a glamorous look.

i would have to agree. the first pic looks dark to me thou and hilights her face a bit too much the second one looks like a normal picture you'd find in a your parents bed room

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts