Ok Guys, I need Your Input!

• Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I want to buy a camera, to start learning all this photography stuff, you have all inspired me , so I want to buy a digital SLR, but I can not afford the money for a new one a the moment, so I was checking out ebay.

So I saw a
Canon D10
Nikon D70
Nikon D40

They all look alright for a beginners camera. What do you guys recommend?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just found a Olympus E300 too, looks pretty good.

And this one also http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PENTAX-K100D-CAM ... dZViewItem

My step father has a pentax SLR and has a billion lenses for it, so I suppose that could be a good thing?

This one too.. Sorry Haha, I just want to get the best cmaera I can get for the price I can pay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-EOS-350D-B ... dZViewItem
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

That pentax looks a good one, just try to find out if the lenses will be compatible (they should be, being the same brand). I also think you should consider the Nikon D40, great camera ... one of my mad friends has one and let me loose with it one day.

Keep shopping around and asking different people ... talk to the shop assistants, some shops might let you take one out for a feel and a few test shots.

Edit in reply to your edit: That 350D is an awesome camera ... great for learning the ropes ... a bit dated, but that means they're cheaper, and there's no big difference between that and the 400D :D

If you're gonna go for that 350D, make sure to get the users manual from somewhere - it says it's not included. It's best to know your camera as thoroughly as possible.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Set your sights on the camera you "want" instead of the one you "can get".
While you're saving up to get that camera, learn everything you can about it. When you have times where you can save a little more than scheduled, buy some of the things that go with the camera, like a tripod, case, memory cards, etc.

If you rush out and settle for the camera you can get now, you're going to be disapointed in the end.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You out of anyone should know how impatient I am lol. I would end up getting so angry with saving I would just buy a camera anyways.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

How the hell do you expect to be a decent photographer without patience ?

Are you going ot scream at the birds ?
Quote:
Hurry up and sit still mother%*#&$%s !

Seriously, save. It will be a good patience builder for you. :D
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL!

No I am not impatient with things like birds, for gods sake Joe. I am impatient when it comes to saving for things I really really want.

I will ask my step father about the lens, I am sure he never uses the camera anymore, so if he gives it too me, I will see about getting the camera the lenses will fit. I am pretty sure its either a canon or pentax, and he has about 30 lens.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would you mind posting around what you're willing to spend? I just helped out musik find a great deal on a brand new D80. We're still waiting to find out how the service from this place is, but the D80 is coming down in price a lot. I've found it as cheap as $500 with a choice of a lense in the kit. Some places actually are offering the kit lense with a free bag, cleaner, tripod, and some other stuff.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have photogs come up to me when I'm shooting and say, "Damn, I wish I had bought a D70 like yours when I had the chance." :)
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am looking under $500 at this stage.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, well I shoot a D70 like dM, and am VERY VERY happy with it. Only a couple things about it I wish were different and are now fixed with the D80. But, those things do not in any way mean the difference of takign the shot I want. It's more of a preference with it. No sense in even mentioning what they are.

I saw on ebay several D70 bodies going for around $300US. Get that and a new 50mm from ritzcamera.com and you're set!
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sweet thank :D
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just remember when bidding on Ebay that when you buy a camera and it says the body only you are literally buying it without any lenses. So, without a lens you can't take any photos really. I know you already probably know this, but i've known people who think when they are getting a good deal on the camera and then realise that they cant take any photos with it.

That ebay item for the 350d still looks good at $100, but it doesn't hurt to maybe contact the seller and find out as much as you can about the item itself. I was fortunate to buy a 350d within weeks of the 400d coming out for a very good price and it's the only camera i've been using since coming to Oz, i just love it.

I always say this when people are asking about cameras on Ozzu - check out the canon camera shop on Ebay. Sometimes they sell refurbished cameras and lenses for a good price, if you are prepared to wait and browse Ebay i guarantee you'll get some good stuff there for a really good price.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've decided I am going to look for either a D70 or a D40x or D80. They all look pretty nice.

I found these 3 on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NIKON-D80-Digita ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D40X-SLR-D ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D70-Tamron ... dZViewItem

I really like the second one. But the first one is also good.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nikon cameras are great. Remember though that your lens is more important than your body. I'd buy a D40 with an awesome lens before a D70 or D80 with a kit lens. But I'd rather not waste time on the D40x at all. It feels very cheaply made to me. I would save just a little bit more and go with the 70 or 80 AND a nice lens to start with.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well since I won an Xbox Elite and I don't really need it, am going to sell it and use the money to buy my camera! So I have about $600 - $800 (with added money) to spend on a camera, which I am SOO happy about!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

yay, congrats! Image

• Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just bought my camera WAAAHOOO!

I got a Canon EOS 400D kit! $979 AU = 885.084 USD

and it comes with -

Whats In The Box
• 1 Canon EOS 400D (Kiss Digital X / Rebel XTi) digital camera
• 1 Battery
• 1 User manual, CD-Rom, cables
• 1 Battery charger
• 1 Strap
• 1 Lens (18-55 mm)
• After Market NB-2L (for Canon EOS 400D, 350D, Powershot G7)
• 2.5 inch LCD Screen Protector for Digital Camera
• Lens Cleaning Pen
• Elite Pro 50 X 1GB CF Card
• Case Logic SLR Camera Holster SLRC 2

I laybyed it (layaway) so I should have it in a few weeks!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow Image you sure did buy a purdy camera. congrats! can't wait to see what you can do with it.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congrats Benat! I just bought a Nikon D80, I can't wait until it arrives and I can start playing with it :D

I wanted to book in for a course which would teach me how to use it except the one I found which is the closest to where I live (and still an hours drive away lol) is not running this year :(

So I have to think of something else, don't really want to drive into the city to learn but I might have to.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried this hun? http://www.cengage.edu.au/photography-d ... hotography

Theres a digital course also, but I think its more for basic users.

I am going to do this one - http://www.thephotographyinstitute.com. ... ntent=home
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

[drool @ camera]
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benat wrote:
Have you tried this hun? http://www.cengage.edu.au/photography-d ... hotography

Theres a digital course also, but I think its more for basic users.

I am going to do this one - http://www.thephotographyinstitute.com. ... ntent=home

Doh, those ones are in NSW. This is the one I was going to do covered the basics of 35mm & SLR camera photography like:

* the camera system
* focus
* aperture & depth of field
* shutter speed & movement
* light metering
* lenses & their application
* composition & image design
* film types
* portraiture
* electronic flash

I think what I will do is learn about as much as I can online on the basics and then just pay someone locally who is in the know to teach me in person. Probably the easiest and cheapest thing to do as I am in a rural area.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I swear by Canons. I think you've done a good job. The camera you bought is the newer version of the camera i have been using in Australia.

Nice one!
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am also bidding on a Canon EOS film SLR, with a 28-90mm lens, which will fit my 400D. It also includes some kodak 800 ISO film and 2 filters,

Oh and I also got a discount on my 400D because I am a registered business WOOHOO! $935 including postage and handling :D
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

AWESOME! :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see the pics you take!
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just out of curiosity, what is the model of the film camera?
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't wait either HAHA! I hope I can do these cameras justice!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know thats my scary thing too hehe but im sure we will get there, how exciting, everyone is getting new cameras! we'll have to make a topic in the photo section just for us to show off our latest pics heh ;)
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope to be adding to that list of people with new cameras soon :D It's my birthday in a month and dad hinted I might be getting one ... though I might not considering how expensive they are ... I might offer to go halves in one, after I've sold my old desktop computer.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 36 posts